HW thermostat/CH thermostat conflict?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a thermostat in the hallway and a thermostat on the hot water cylinder. The problem I have is that the hallway thermostat seems to dominates the hot water one – i.e. if the water temp is below the required 55/60 degrees, the boiler won’t heat the water when required UNLESS the temperature in the hall is lower than the required temperature on the hall thermostat. The CH system has hot water priority. Any help greatly appreciated.Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Need to do more investigation. How is the HW turned on in the summer or is this something that used to work but has gone wrong ?

Normally there is either a three port valve (IN/HW/CH) or two separate valves (one on HW and one on CH). But if you havn't got a full control system, you may have to flick a switch for a summer setting to run just the HW. Look for the valve or valves controlled by the thermostats.

Hi there. It is a 3-port valve system. As far as I am aware, the water comes on the same way as it does in the winter, with a digital timer/control that has one side for CH and one for HW for what times it comes on and how often, etc: the difference now is that in the morning I want hot water and maybe heating on low-ish. But it’s basically turned into a situation where I have to wake up with the house too hot to ensure the water is hot, or running the risk of no hot water by having the room thermostat slightly below what the temp is in the morning. Sorry if I’m not explaining this very well.

I had the thermostat and timer replaced, so can’t remember if it worked okay before.

Sponsored Links
Look on the side of the valve - there is a little lever. You may be able to set the lever in a manual position that gives you a temp. solution but sounds as though the valve is not working properly or whoever replaced the programmer wired it wrong - get them back is you best bet. Some detailed electrical detective work is needed.

If you are correct in that you have hw priority then it sounds like you have an old diverter valve system, rather than a 3 port mid position valve:rolleyes: It also sounds as this is wired up back to front.

Thanks, I thought it might be the wiring. Will call him back and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back