Hyundai Lantra 1.6i 1995 Auto. (charging)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this car a few months back off ebay and in all this time i've had to charge the battery overnite every nite!! Ive had 3 alternators and 2 batteries and its still not charging. When its first started its charging at 14.5v with my meter on the battery, 4 or 5 mins later its charging at only 11.5/12v and if i go for a drive the battery will eventually die! The battery charge light on the dash will not even illuminate to tell you its not charging! Can someone help and tell me why its not charging please?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't know.

But I can say that when certain people are selling a car with a charging fault, they will disconnect the "Ign" not charging light.

Cheers John, the light will illuminate with a full battery when you turn ignition on but seems to diminish as battery power receeds. Has still not shown itself when battery is recieving no charge.

does everything work, lights, heated rear windows ect, sounds like you have something drianing the batetry, are the wires on the alternator ok, and the wires to the batetry not rubbed thru?

Sponsored Links
maybe an earth problem,not sure on yours but the warning light circuit helps to provide the current required to get the alternator charging,how do the engine block earths look?

All electrics work ok and i've removed and cleaned the 2 earth straps to the engine block, all wires from the alternator and to the battery are sound,i'm still stumped :confused:

Id start pulling fuses to everything non essential and see whats draining the power.

Cheers ^neo^, this will be my next mission weather permitting :confused: I've got a cam belt and water pump to do this weekend in a friends garage.

I agree with Neo that something must be draining the battery too, but am still thinking that as it is only charging at 11.5/12v that there is still a fault there associated with the alternator. Do these alternators require an excitation voltage before they start charging? Could it be this that has failed? Or yet another duff alternator?

Spark123, i have heard of batches of duff alternators in shops before now but surely i cant have that much bad luck :eek: I first thought it had a seperate voltage regulator but the guy in the shop informed me it was built in. "Excitation voltage" please explain, this is a new one on me.
Thanks a million for ya replies guys:cool:

millerman said:
Spark123, i have heard of batches of duff alternators in shops before now but surely i cant have that much bad luck :eek: I first thought it had a seperate voltage regulator but the guy in the shop informed me it was built in. "Excitation voltage" please explain, this is a new one on me.
Thanks a million for ya replies guys:cool:
Are you saying that the 3 alternators have come from an accesory shop?
If so they are probably recon units. It is possible they're all duff

What I mean by excitation voltage (terminology?) is some alternators will not output until a 12v signal is applied to a separate terminal.

All 3 came from the same acsessory shop yes :confused:
Spark123, all is now clear thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Back