i added a radiator...actually 2...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think i have a open vented system. i drained the whole system first. before connecting the new radiators

then this morning i turned the water back on to gently fill it up.

let the radiators fill up til they started leaking out of the bleed valves.

(did i need to do anything else special? slightly worried about the tank that leads into the pump)

...and possibly this is where i went wrong: i thought you were supposed to bleed the pump with it switched on ( well thats what my brother said!)'

so the pump whirred lots...intemittently hissed , and dripped...but the water didn't flow, like they did out of the radiators. is that normal?

have i missed any steps? the pump is a lot nosier , and i'm worried there's still loads of air trapped in :confused:

Sponsored Links
its an open vented central heating systrm where the water can be spearately heated for heating the room or tthe hot water taps.

is that what you mean?

Never have the pump running they are water lubricated no water = lots of squeeling and a new pump

Sponsored Links
hmmm...but why isn't there any water there: it should have just filled up but my best guess now is there's an air bubble round there....

there's a small sealed tank just above it called the automatic recovery tank) and I'm wondering if 'its filled up/ how do I know? is this likely to be a problem?!

automatic recovery tank

Eh? Wossat? What's it connected to?
Do you have a small header tank eg in the loft?

Water doesn't exactly flow out of the pump with screw out, just a bit of a dribble which more or less stops.
Id there a vent point in the airing cupd/by the HW cylinder?

Guys...thanks for your time.

in the end i just bled the system again ( i connected a hose pipe to varioys drain points)....and it seems to be a lot happier now. fingers crossed!

as for the automatic recovery wotsit , thats whats written on the label!....a small copper sealed tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back