I got loads of stuff...now what?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont think I have the right stuff.

I got a linksys adapter (usb) wireless....but I think I need a bigger part. and I bought a new cable modem with usb/ethernet...but I dont think I have what it takes. anyone ???Ian??

Sponsored Links
Why did you need a wireless usb adaptor? I thought your laptop already had wireless.

If the new router doesn't support Vonage, you are no better off than you were. You did contact Vonage to ask, didn't you???

Anyway, I did a google and came up with this, which might do the trick.

You're calling him "Ian" now are ye lass?

I'm gonna tell Kev and grass you up good and proppaaaah. :evil:

hey Softus

who do you think gave me his name?
now....about the stuff. I thought I understood ....but when I got to the store, I got all confused again.
Igorian (happy now?) suggested a single router......I cant find anything that says single. I get home and realize...none of the parts actually go together without the big (high falootin thingy)....it's not single (i dont think) but it apparently ties everything together...so before I go back to the store...I need to know what to get. :oops:

Sponsored Links
You setting up a wireless network? In an ideal world you'd have a cable wireless router, like Igorian says it needs to be Vonage compatable (see here Vonage website). I take it you want to plug a PC into it too? I assume there is some info in another thread?

mlb3c said:
hey Softus

who do you think gave me his name?
now....about the stuff. I thought I understood ....but when I got to the store, I got all confused again.
Igorian (happy now?) suggested a single router......I cant find anything that says single. I get home and realize...none of the parts actually go together without the big (high falootin thingy)....it's not single (i dont think) but it apparently ties everything together...so before I go back to the store...I need to know what to get. :oops:

Did you read my previous post. I have suggested a router that might be suitable.

okay....my inventory just went up

Im starting over.....setting up a wireless network

I now have (still in the boxes mind you)
Linksys wireless g broadband router model WRT54G
Linksys Vonage wireless broadband router model WRTP54G
Linksys cable modem...but dont have it hooked up yet (cable co closed)
and a tiny little thing called a wireless g network adapter linksys model WUSB54GS....where do I begin?

:rolleyes:

The WRTP54G and a cable modem (the original one will do as i've lost track of what you have) is all that is required.

Connect the cable modem to the WRTP54G via the WAN/INTERNET ports.

The WRT54G is redundant.

I'm not sure if you used the WUSB54GS to make your Mac wireless, but if your Mac already has wireless, then this too is redundant.

I don't know enough about the Vonage service to comment, but presumably, you have some SIP or other settings that need to be entered into the router.

so i over bought....

the Mac is wireless by an airport card installed.

I already have existing service with vonage...i think it just needs to be activated....

I will try and get it set up tonight or tomorrow....keep your fingers crossed

many many thanks for your efforts so far :D

mlb3c said:
so i over bought....

the Mac is wireless by an airport card installed.

I already have existing service with vonage...i think it just needs to be activated....

I will try and get it set up tonight or tomorrow....keep your fingers crossed

many many thanks for your efforts so far :D

I'm baby sitting an AS400, so i'll be here all night if you need more help.

this is harder than I thought.....
Why cant they make it as easy as the little pictures on the box :oops:

To actually connect the pieces seems straight forward....but then comes the settings...I dont have a clue....I'm not actually connected to the internet unless I'm on the belkin....so how do I change that?

Does the new router show as being online? (ie, is the Internet light on?)

i have just been told that i make it more complicated than it needs to be....i dont mean to.

i hooked the router up....lights were on.....but the mac does not show connection. how do i switch from belkin to linksys?

First, I will say that it's best to configure the router using a cable, but I think you said that your ethernet port is bust.

Hopefully, the wireless is enabled on the Linksys by default.

Do you have a utility on the Mac for setting up wireless devices, or does the Linksys come with a disk with Mac software on it?

Sponsored Links
Back