I need a little help and guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fireplace disaster ???!!! :oops:

I need some help ! and I'm hoping this is the right place to ask.

I am in the process of removing an old fireplace but as I have removed it, I have found there is no lintel. The plasterer who was round plastering my hallway said that because it is a fairly small fireplace there shouldn't be any need for one. However, I'm not entriely confident with his assessment and would like some different opinions.

Does a smallish (60cm * 60 cm wide - 1m from floor to top) fireplace need a lintel ?

I may well call someone in a professional builder to do continue with the fireplace removal, but would like to make sure before I spend loads of money calling one out.

Any help really appreciated. (before the wife returns from shopping) :D

Sponsored Links
provided the brickwork above is bonded and not straight nick, a 600mm wide opening will cause no trouble at all.

you can retro install a lintel if you wish.

either a 100x75mm pcc lintel or an angle steel will "eat it".

noseall said:
provided the brickwork above is bonded and not straight nick, a 600mm wide opening will cause no trouble at all.

you can retro install a lintel if you wish.

either a 100x75mm pcc lintel or an angle steel will "eat it".

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by bonded ?
I can see one brick that is supported by nothing except the mortar surrounding it....

IMAGE_00028.jpg

IMAGE_00029.jpg

Sponsored Links
the one brick you can see is the only vulnerable brick in the equation.

as i said. for peace of mind fix a 900 x100x75 mm pcc lintel in place of the first visible course of bricks.

or indeed higher or lower if the job demands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back