I need to shrink 20m2 undertile heating to 16m2 !! hELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem. I have bought the wrong size undertile heating (the mat type) and the company will not exchange/refund. I have bought 20m2 and the room is only approx 16m2. :evil:

I was wondering if there is a way to fit the electric heating system that will allow me to utilise the excess 4m2 without causing the cable to short when installed.

We have the 0.5m wide mat!

I know that I cannot cut the wire, but I was thinking that one solution would be to lay the mat but leaving a border of space around the room, which would then allow me to feed the excess meterage of wire (removed from the mat) around the border space. Do you think this could work? (or is it a totally unsensible approach?????) :confused:

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
is there anything in the manual? try ringing the manufacturer and ask to speak to their technical department.

I know sweet nothing about underfloor heating so I'm not the ideal guy to ask, but if the kit was designed to be a specific size and not altered then that's probably because its not safe to alter it. I wouldn't remove the cable from the mat at all, let alone feed it into a confined space where heat could be allowed to build up with no means of dissipation and potentially start a fire.

Sponsored Links
Flog it on flea-bay and then buy the right size mat is what I would suggest - I suspect you wont loose a great deal of money and at least you won't be running risk of putting it down and then having to take the floor up because of a problem later on either caused by your modifications or some knock on effect - there's more cost involved taking a nice new floor up and then relaying it again in terms of agro alone.

Could you please provide a link to the product, then we can see / read and comprehend the issue with research based knowledge

(thumbs up emoction) :LOL:

Okay, I have not actually managed to magically shrink the undertile heating.... I have now decided to buy another one in the correct size. Yep, modifying the mat was a rubbish idea. I was a bit desperate!!

I think I'll use the 20m2 one in my front room instead.

thanks for all your replies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back