I think I've got damp in my conservatory....what next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

my house was built in 1993 and had a conservatory built on it sometime between then and 2000. Over the last couple of years I have seen the first few courses of bricks + mortar begin to crumble + now I can see the damp course plastic sticking out. Inside, black spots regulary appear, we wipe them off, then they come back again (the paintwork is dark so hides these)...

I'm thinking I've got damp problem + I'm not sure what to do next so a) I can have my thought confirmed/ruled out + b) I'm not ripped off by someone telling us to pull the conservatory down if we dont need to.

any thoughts anyone...greatly appreciated.
thanks

tony

Sponsored Links
is the damp on the house wall or the dwarf wall of the conservatory

what is the height of the ground level out side the damp area in relation to the dpc (eg one brick level below etc)

are you sure there are no leaking rain water, drains, or mains water pipe.

hello...the damp is on the dwarf wall....theres bits on 2 of the 3 sides..

the ground level (pebbles) is at least 3 brick layers below the damp..

the ground does have a tendency to hold water but it is dry at the moment...

just looking at the external brickwork last night, the first 3 courses of bricks are in a right state...faces come off some bricks....mortar crumbling....bricks look white in comparison to rest.

looking through the docs I have, the house is 11 years old....I guestimate the conserve may be 8-9 years old although no sign of any paperwark...

I wonder if internally at least, some special paint might help as theres not that much mould....its the outside thats bothering me now!

could be they have not used engineering quality bricks below DPC,

with damp on the inside they may have omitted to use an under floor damp proof membrane.

If things are really bad ring your buildings insurer

Sponsored Links
problem is I've not a clue who built the conservatory. Theres no receipts in the deeds and I cant get hold of the previous owners....

what would be the next step to get it checked out....a builder..a surveyor?...

is it possible to replace the bottom course without knocking the building down???

sorry, no ideas with this one

thanks

your buildings insurer will probably advise of a surveyor.

have you got a radiator in there? are there any pipes running under the conny?where does all the rain water gather?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back