I would like some new sash windows made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone oblige? I would like 4 sash windows made, approx 1m wide and 1.5 m tall in 4 panes.

Are there any joiners out there?

I have had quotes from 2 local companies, but at £350+vat for a single glazed window with no glass! I think thats' a bit steep? or am I being a tight ars*???

Sponsored Links
They work out approx £102 each so it not too bad specially if they are proper sash windows with weight etc........

If you want to frighten yourselves have a look at Magnet Windows catalogue !!!!

masona £102 each?

thought it said "at £350+vat for a single glazed window with no glass!"

theWilse i would not say you are as you described but if you asked here if there any joiners I will make them for you @ £899 +vat x 2 each, now there you go, the other companies are cheaper why not go there.

my point being you are asking for a craftsman to make them, which is probably custom made, craftsmen cost money, if both companies gave near the same price then that is what they cost.

as Masona said why not look in the magnet catalogue / website you could always use it as a "yard stick"

custom made things always cost more

...the cost is £350+vat each... £1645 in total!!

...Magnet prices while costly, are usually discounted from my previous experience by 50-65%

wilse

Sponsored Links
:oops: I must learn to read sloooowly ! :)

Also Jewson do large range of windows.Not sure if you want uPVC sash windows ? as they tell me it's cheaper than wooden windows ????? :confused:

I wanted one complete (wooden) sash window making in the middle of last year and was quoted £320+ for it. As we bought this place to "do up" and sell so that we could move southwest I thought I'd have a go at making it myself...although I should say that my father-in-law is a (now retired) carpenter so I had advice at the end of the phone.

After completing it and fitting it I can only say that the price was a fair one to say the least. The work involved is incredible. Time consuming, tool intensive, and detailed and the timber - I used Iroko (sp) - is expensive because it has to be good quality timber so that it lasts.

I prefer wooden sash windows to any other option and have since made another and refurbished all the remaining ones.

You get what you pay for I guess.

What I would say is to phone around, maybe even put an add in your local paper..."carpenter required for one-off job making windows".

The Trades are in decline and need supporting and although I made my own I feel I can say that because I wouldn't hesitate to have them made for me in the future if I was unable to make them myself.

£350 sounds about right to me. I just had a single sash made (not the whole frame/thing - just the sash that goes up and down) and that cost me £150 fully glazed. The biggest problem I had was getting hold of a carpenter prepared to do a relatively small job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back