Ideal Classic - leaking and no hot water / heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have an Ideal Classic boiler with Grundfoss pump. Today I noticed I’m getting no hot water and no central heating. The boiler ‘sounds’ OK – i.e. it seems to make the same noise it always did – the pilot light is on too. But NONE of the pipes from the boiler are remotely hot / warm. Stone cold. I also noticed a puddle of water under the boiler which appears to be coming from somewhere inside :cry: . This leads me to think something has failed rather badly!!
:mad:
I’m getting a guy round on Monday but any thoughts would be appreciated.

House is currently “under offer” and the survey is due by the buyer next week. So I need to get this sorted asap and at the minimum cost. Talk about bad timing :rolleyes: . Could it be something simple or is it likely to be more serious? I’m guessing the water puddle may indicate a familiar problem if you know about these things….

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed for Monday.

Quite a good simple boiler usually easy to repair.

Impossible to predict what it is, probably very easy for the professional who sees it on Monday to diagnose and fix.

Puddle of water beneath boiler?

More than likely a leaking heat exchanger, not much more inside the boiler that would leak. Prepare for a shock.

Yes I didn't want to say iut but that was my fear.

New boiler.

May I sggest a Boulter Buderus 600-19R for a straight swap.

Sponsored Links
anyone thought of the flue running downhill back to the boiler could be rainwater may not be as bad as you think these boilers are simple and robust,when the boiler is working the water dries up just a thought

Thanks for the feedback - if I do need a boiler where can I find advice on where it should be sited? The current boiler has a flue stright out to a shared alleyway down the side of tne house - neighbours wall is 2m away. Can I site it here or does it need to be moved?

Any sites I can look at?

Thanks

Good point Bripl.

I'd rather not coment on flu position via internet, I'd need to walk round your house to decide, it's a minefield today, vertical flues are a good idea.

I wouldn't fit one straight out into a shared alley way for sure, but I don't think I ever would have.

One of the recent deaths in Leeds was a boy in a bedroom above a covered Alleyway that someones appliance was flued into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back