ideal sprint rapide 90 nf not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ideal sprint rapide 90 nf combi boiler that will not fire - it was fine until I switched the heating on for a few days last week.

I am really hesitant to get British Gas out again as the last experience wasn't all that great - charged me for labour and parts, when all it was in the end was the overheat button needed to be pushed (he did however replace the very dirty fan). I have since cancelled the homecare (now regretting it).

Can anyone please advise?

Sponsored Links
Need more info. How far is it getting before failing? Is it failing on heating, HW or both. Can you hear any noises coming from it or see anything.

Is it not firing or completley dead? if so could just be 3 amp fuse in isolator blown.

It gets as far as trying to light the pilot - it ticks and tries to turn over, but it never fires.

Everything else is in place, except the pilot light starting.

BG was £192 for a callout - ounch!

if it is ticking the fan has been proved, therefore it could be a blockage in the pilot injector, ignition electrode gone out of adjustment, can you see the spark?, or the gas valve had it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Just gonna try and get the cover off to see the ignition properly.

Back in a couple...

Typical BG rip off or did this include parts?

I charge around £60 + VAT for the first hour 'attendance fee' plus any parts or extra time. I'm sure you could find a local recommended installer who is more reasonable and knows what he is doing :rolleyes:

LadyUK said:
Just gonna try and get the cover off to see the ignition properly.

Back in a couple...

Hold on, I didn't tell you to start taking it to bits :eek:

That included parts.

Okay, there is no visible spark - I have taken the cover off to view it easier, and I can hear a spark, but cannot see one, and the pilot light does not ignite.

Should I just look someone up in the area and try to get a price for a callout today?

I luckily have recently installed a power shower so I can live with doing the washing up with the kettle for a few days if need be, but I honestly need some laundry doing!

gas4you said:
Typical BG rip off or did this include parts?

I charge around £60 + VAT for the first hour 'attendance fee' plus any parts or extra time. I'm sure you could find a local recommended installer who is more reasonable and knows what he is doing :rolleyes:

standard call out with parts and labour.....good deal if its something expensive......not so good if its something cheap.....you takes yer chances :)

I caved in and called british gas - they will be out tomorrow afternoon.

I will be doing the home care plan for the next year - but I am selling house within the next 6 months, so will eventually cancel.

I guess I cannot complain though, they will cover all parts and labour and it will only cost 26 pounds a month - went for the full system cover so they can evaluate the entire system.

Does that sound like a bad deal to you?

It'll be expensive if all it needs is an 80p ignition lead, or if after a couple of months they decide they don't want to maintain it any more and cancel the contract telling you you need a new boiler.

But it could turn out to be cheap. Like any insurance really.

Thank you everyone for your help - you kept me calm when I was freaking out.

Thank goodness I decided on that power shower..

ChrisR said:
It'll be expensive if all it needs is an 80p ignition lead, or if after a couple of months they decide they don't want to maintain it any more and cancel the contract telling you you need a new boiler.

they cant really do that. they will either refuse it on the first visit or take it on and maintain it as long as they are told to by the customer. they can only really cancel if the customer refuses to take remedial action that has been suggested if it is continually costing them money. id never seen it happen in my 6 years.

I will be doing the home care plan for the next year - but I am selling house within the next 6 months, so will eventually cancel.

i dont think you are but chsck that you are not tied in for a years contract as you are getting a repair done for free under a 3fxp contract, you may not be able to cancel before the year is up or you have settled the outstanding £26 per month.

ChrisR said:
It'll be expensive if all it needs is an 80p ignition lead

Sounds more like this now as no spark is visible. Could be shorting to case etc.

My brother in law to be is popping round to have a look - he is a DIY master.

So, I may be ringing BG later to cancel.

Thank you everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back