Ideal Standard RS 50 Concord Boiler - Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This morning our Ideal Standard RS 50 (Concord) boiler stopped working - the Pilot light is not longer lit, and although we can easily light it, it does not stay lit once the white button is depressed.

The thermo-couple was replaced recently. There appears to be a small crack in the observation window, could this be reason for the pilot light not staying lit?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
D.

Sponsored Links
Hi,new user, i have the exact same problem as above.the pilot light went out,i managed to relight it but it goes out after about 1 min.I went and bought a new thermocouple,as some threads suggested this.The pilot light did indeed light but main flame will not "kick in" and pilot still goes out after one min( you can hear a click and it extingushes).Any help greatly appreciated as do not want to get ripped off or buy new one if not needed.
Boiler is from 1973. many thanks.

Speak to your neighbours, get recommendations. We do not all rip people off!
Boiler is from '73. When was it last serviced?

i dont mean to imply you all rip people off,but you know the score and have seen the t.v progs.good idea to ask neighbors.cheers

Sponsored Links
it could be the thermo electric valve section of you gas valve, I'm sure you can just change this on your boiler without having to change the complete valve,
Try CUZON Ashton Old Rd Openshaw, next to Grahams builders merchants.

cant you just buy new glass,as this unscrews and glass window comes out,mine is also cracked!

mmmm as i thought. I was considering buying a new boiler but upon doing research i am rather apprehensive.Lots of tradesmen saying that the new ones appear to only last an average of 7 or so years and lots of my friends tell tales of expensive and frequent repairs! what do you think?
do you think you could buy a piece of (heat proof) glass from an independant glass place? do you also know if you can get a replacement spark unit or the wire as mine is now too short to reach. lots of quetions aye! cheers mate

Dan, changing the thermocouple should have been done by a gas registered person and not as a DIY job.

If it was and it did not fix the fault then call back the engineer. he should have pointed out the cracked glass and advised you what to do.

We expect it to be made of heat proof glass but I have encountered several which have been replaced with standard window glass and operating without cracking after many years. I do wonder if really is heat proof glass anyway.

Tony

That's a cracking boiler. Don't bin it unless you really can't fix it. My customer has one from 1980, and apart from servicing has only needed a couple of thermocouples.

Several of my older customers have ancient 70s and early 80s boilers that just keep going, even on filthy sludged up systems. Ti Radiation Fuelsaver anyone?

My customer's glass cracked, so got a cut to size heatproof piece from here http://www.stove-glass.com/

Everything can be fixed, you just got to get yourself a proper boiler man who knows what he's about, and doesn't just want to rip you on a new installation.

Can't help with the breakdown, I leave the internals to my tame Corgi! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back