Ideas for less able customers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back on this one again,

last blind lady I did an installatyion for I installed regular styeamer in open vented copnfiguration. Ob viously she can't see pressure guage.

I noticed that a firm make an electronic auto filling loop. This opens a connection to the mains electronically when pressure drops to preset point. Not sure this meets wras approval I don't have the wras book though I do have the qualification. In leau of writing to my local board and asking I have devised a similar scheme which includes the AA air gap.

Parts required, (all prices ball park figures) Pressure switch approx £8, check valve £2, lift pump £12 break tank (old byelaws kit) £16.

Just use small break tank and restrict flow to lift pump so it doesn't run dry.

Not a lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Since the filling loop has to be removed when not actually in use for filling then the electronic system cannot comply with water regs.

Its a bit over complicated as the guys in Southall just use a pressure reducing valve to keep it topped up to 1.5 Bar. And I do have to say that although its illegal it works well if the non return valve is clean and not letting by.

You seem to be describing a very complicated system to replace a ball valve in a F&E tank ( or am I missing something? ).

Tony

Agile said:
Since the filling loop has to be removed when not actually in use for filling then the electronic system cannot comply with water regs.

Do do, is has a break tank which provides the air gap, so the "filling loop" is not connected to the mains.

And they let these Corgi Hitler Youth into people's homes.

Paul Barker said:
Back on this one again,

last blind lady I did an installatyion for I installed regular styeamer in open vented copnfiguration. Ob viously she can't see pressure guage.

I noticed that a firm make an electronic auto filling loop. This opens a connection to the mains electronically when pressure drops to preset point. Not sure this meets wras approval I don't have the wras book though I do have the qualification. In leau of writing to my local board and asking I have devised a similar scheme which includes the AA air gap.

Parts required, (all prices ball park figures) Pressure switch approx £8, check valve £2, lift pump £12 break tank (old byelaws kit) £16.

Just use small break tank and restrict flow to lift pump so it doesn't run dry.

Not a lot of money.

Which switch and pump are you using?

Sponsored Links
Paul I don't see any problem with your method.
Lots of bits you could choose from but a neg head pump would have the p switch - some are adjustable.

If the boiler already has a pswitch then an audio alert device would be cheaper?

I think that after talking about an open vented system Paul went on without stopping to a pressurised system.

I have seen industrial installations with a header tank at floor level and a shower type pump to pressurise the system through a double check and powered by a pressure switch. About £140 to buy the bits.

The reason its used for the industrial is partly because its automatic and partly to facililitate adding inhibitors.

Tony

Yes sorry I didn't make a transitional statement.

Yes I mean say you don't want to fit open vented system, what can you do for people who can't (won't) learn to use, or aren't (won't allow themselves to be) able to control it, or see the pressure guage.

I find all sorts of people who are filling loop incompetents.

My system is cheaper, as listed above. No need for an expensive shower pump, a 1/2 hp lift pump £12 is adequate. Doesn't matter how fast it refills the system.

There were some rogue engineers round here (though I believe you that non of these were corgi registered they were all off duty firement) that fitted regulator permanently. have reoved them whenever I come across them because I become responsible for it once I have worked on the system, so for me to leave it in would be as bad as fitting it.

if this lady is blind are you going to rely on her sense of touch to discover any leaks within the system.

Paul Barker said:
............... have reoved them whenever I come across them because I become responsible for it once I have worked on the system,.................

I doubt you are right. You need to notify the customer, but then again, if you have not worked on that part of the system, why should you be responsible?

Where does this responsibility stop? Why should you not be responsible for every other defective part of the house you have just worked on, such as the chimney breast removed without fitting proper support?

Fits 1, we'll leave her cold then shall we?

Oil man filling loop is right on the boiler, you usually have to operate it. It's your call, I change it for one that's wras approved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back