1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiot cut into microwave cable

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by arthur22, 8 Oct 2021.

  1. arthur22

    arthur22

    Joined:
    17 Sep 2021
    Messages:
    4
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Through a combination of a cramped kitchen with a stupid layout and a total fool (me) I have managed to cut into the microwave cable, literally slice into it with a sharp knife.

    There was a flash, bang and the MCB for the kitchen sockets tripped. Once I had stood there for five minutes pondering my astonishing idiocy I tried turning on the MCB again and it turned on. I was considering my next move when the fridge came on as well, so the kitchen socket circuit is working.

    The microwave is very old so I will just get rid, but my question is could I have damaged the socket itself, wiring in the walls or MCB in any way? Can I use the socket still? The cable is fairly long so it was cut about 80cm or so away from the plug. Many thanks for your advice.
     
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

    EFLImpudence

    Joined:
    7 Jul 2010
    Messages:
    37,466
    Thanks Received:
    4,201
    Location:
    Retired to:
    Country:
    Portugal
    If you mean you cut the cable between the plug and the microwave, then just connect another plug (assuming the original is a moulded plug) to the remaining good cable and carry on.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  4. arthur22

    arthur22

    Joined:
    17 Sep 2021
    Messages:
    4
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I did indeed cut the cable between the plug and the microwave unit itself, thank you for your answer.
     
  5. 333rocky333

    333rocky333

    Joined:
    12 Jan 2008
    Messages:
    8,426
    Thanks Received:
    902
    Location:
    Essex
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Should be fine, hopefully you have now pulled the plug out of the socket and keep it away from anyone or kids likely to plug it back in, the fuse in the plug may well not have blown.
    Sometimes the fault current can damage the switch on the socket, so plug in something else and check it sill operates on/off ok.
     
  6. bernardgreen

    bernardgreen

    Joined:
    3 Nov 2006
    Messages:
    25,822
    Thanks Received:
    2,571
    Location:
    Bedfordshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    if is a moulded on plug then bend the pins to make it impossible for it to be plugged into a socket and then put it in the rubbish bin.
     
  7. Harry Bloomfield

    Harry Bloomfield

    Joined:
    30 Dec 2018
    Messages:
    8,339
    Thanks Received:
    1,147
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Cut through the cable, where you damaged it with a knife, then dispose of the plug along with the short piece of cable.
     
  8. sparkwright

    sparkwright

    Joined:
    20 Aug 2009
    Messages:
    8,784
    Thanks Received:
    1,102
    Location:
    Dorset
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    If you accidently cut the microwave cable, I suspect you were nowhere near the plug end or the microwave end.

    If the damage is somewhere near the middle of the length of cable, join the cable with a 3 terminal in-line flex connector, typically rated at 13 or above amps.
     
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. opps

    opps

    Joined:
    16 Jun 2006
    Messages:
    5,166
    Thanks Received:
    817
    Location:
    London
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    And then wrap insulation tape around it?...
     
  11. BS3036

    BS3036

    Joined:
    24 Sep 2007
    Messages:
    944
    Thanks Received:
    68
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Yuck!
     
  12. opps

    opps

    Joined:
    16 Jun 2006
    Messages:
    5,166
    Thanks Received:
    817
    Location:
    London
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I was surprised by Sparkwright's post. I now realise that he means one of those push click type of connectors. I misunderstood his intention.
     
  13. JohnW2

    JohnW2

    Joined:
    28 Jan 2011
    Messages:
    48,632
    Thanks Received:
    3,189
    Location:
    Buckinghamshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    In fact, I don't think he meant a 'plug/socket'connector at all but, rather, just one which was hard-wired, such as ...

    upload_2021-10-9_18-0-1.png

    ... but why anyone would think of wrapping one of those in tape, I don't know!

    Kind Regards, John
     
    • Like Like x 1
  14. opps

    opps

    Joined:
    16 Jun 2006
    Messages:
    5,166
    Thanks Received:
    817
    Location:
    London
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I mistakenly thought he meant one of these

    [​IMG]

    Hence my surprise... until I reread his post
     
  15. Munroast

    Munroast

    Joined:
    17 Aug 2010
    Messages:
    1,789
    Thanks Received:
    264
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Put a new cable on it ! joining it in the middle :rolleyes:
    complete waste binning the microwave,

    Out of curiosity how damaged was the knife blade - any photos ?
     
Loading...

Share This Page