I'm in the brown stuff...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an unsavory experience unblocking my soil pipe on a Sunday night!!

As part of our house extension, we asked our builder to put in two soil pipe positions as we weren't sure where to site the upstairs toilet. He's joined them together on one underground horizontal pipe (with fall) with the furthest one coming down a nice slow bend but the other one simply tee's into it from above. Consequently as the brown stuff hits the tee junction, half of it must be splashing back up the dead leg and staying there.

I may connect an en-suite into the dead leg in the future but surely it shouldn't have to rely on a second bathroom to flush it down?

Is this good practice to install underground drainage like this (bearing in mind it was passed by the building inspector!) What should it be like and what should I do now?

Sponsored Links
It should join the ground at a slow bend like the furthest one. Once both are at ground level they should terminate in an inspection chamber.

As you are finding out, the sh|t is hitting the tee and just piling up.

Your only option would seem to be to rejig the offending pipework.

This is why the building control department are the only ones who can sign the certificate for drainage work (you did tell them didn't you?) They keep you out of the sh it.

Yes...the building inspector 'inspected it' before the slab was laid.

I'm now thinking that part of the floor may need to be dug up and a slow bend fitted instead. My dilemma is that I doubt the building inspector will pay for the remedial work to be done and my builder will simply say it has 'passed' inspection.

I'm assuming the concrete floor can be dug up as long as the DPC is reinstated...am I right?

I'll start by getting the building inspector to have a look...

Sponsored Links
Seriously, it's time to call a legal advice line, and possibly speak to a solicitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back