Immersion Heater stiff / cannot remove!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a top side immersion heater in my tank - the bottom one works fine at night but the element has gone on the top one. But I cannot get it to budge! I am strong as well and the immersion box spanner won't budge it.
Any tips to remove a stubborn immersion? It doesn't look that old either.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a top side immersion heater in my tank - the bottom one works fine at night but the element has gone on the top one. But I cannot get it to budge! I am strong as well and the immersion box spanner won't budge it.
Any tips to remove a stubborn immersion? It doesn't look that old either.

Thanks for your help

My old mate Razor did a great vid for the greatest forum on the web, ignore his gay lord gloves though!!
http://youtu.be/wpz7PbcSjdI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You wont get a lot of leverage with one of those immersion box spanners

See if you can get hold of or borrow a big stilson wrench. That should do the trick.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You wont get a lot of leverage with one of those immersion box spanners

See if you can get hold of or borrow a big stilson wrench. That should do the trick.

Never ever had to resort to a set of 24s mate. Plenty heat on the flange of the element & a box spanner will do it.

Easy does it every time, too much leverage & you'll rip the brass boss off the copper cylinder.......😡😡

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fair point.

But i got the impression that the op has an unvented. (Top side entry immersion). In which case i wouldn't want to use too much heat as i would be worried that it might melt the plastic outer casing and foam insulation behind it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tip, how long should you heat it for roughly? I have a mapro plus canister and blow torch and shall crack on tomorrow morning. That video was great as well.

By the way the cylinder is copper, open vented. Top side element :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hit the immersion spanner with a hammer. Obviously I don't go mad, I just tap it harder and harder till it breaks the seal and then it usually comes out easily.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tip, how long should you heat it for roughly? I have a mapro plus canister and blow torch and shall crack on tomorrow morning. That video was great as well.

By the way the cylinder is copper, open vented. Top side element :)

I'd remove everything that's combustable from the immersion heater element - wires, thermostat etc & blast the centre for a few minutes.
HTH

N

Newboy

I'm with ACL on this one - have used SDS drill with flat/chisel bit on impact only before - rest against box spanner

Sponsored Links