Immersion Tank Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am new here and have a problem with my immersion tank. My hot water was getting FAR too hot and in fact caused the cold water tank in the loft to start heating up. I called a plumber (I have home assistance with my house insurance) who came out straight away and diagnosed that the immersion heaters were not working properly and that the thermostats had probably gone.

Although he gave me a quote to come and replace them, I am not able to afford it at the moment and would like to do the job myself.

The cylinder is:
- Hercules
- Economy 7
- 166 litre
- direct flow

I apparently need two heaters:
- 3 KW
- 240V, 50Hz
- Superloy conducted
- 11 inches long
- with individual thermostats

Is it a relatively simple job to change these myself? If so, are there any special tools that I will need? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Try just changing the thermostat(s), which slide out of the heaters. They're a few pounds each and fail safe, not boiling like the old ones did!

First you could try turning the stat(s) down. Turn off, remove cap fom heater (usually one screw/nut) and you'll see the triangular stat , slightly floppy, with temp marked on it.

Thanks. Although the plumber who came out suggested that I ought to replace the whole thing (i.e. the heaters) as the wiring was looking a bit black and worn. He actually said that this may have been the reason for the malfunction in the first place.

I understand that the heaters (inc. thermostats) are not too expensive; about £40 each.

Is there anything that I need to know before trying to replace them, or is it simply a quick "unscrew old, screw in new" type job?

Thanks again

1) when you take out the whole heater (not just the thermostat) water will come out.

2) When you start to unscrew the heaters, using a huge spanner that you can hire, you might buckle or tear the cylinder (which is made of soft copper sheet, about as thick as paper).

Sponsored Links
We gave a quote to replace the lower element at £156 inc.

She does not want the upper one replaced even though it would only be an extra £35 when done at the same time.

She first called several months ago and might as well have had it replaced at the same price then!

Tony

New thermostat £5,
10300.gif

new cable (heat resisting type) £2.
15 minutes work, including the coffee.

Changed the stats last night; so far, so good. Incidentally, wiring looked completely fine. Think I might have just saved myself £220. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back