in the zone

J

josey

i have just changed the light fitting in the bathroom. The new fitting is suitable for bathrooms if installed in zone 3, I have measured the position of the new light, for it to fall into zone 3 it needs to be 2.25m from the bathroom floor, the bottom of the glass shade on the light is only 2.2m, that is 5cm too low, the old fitting was in the same place however and has been since we have lived here (8yrs), do you think this will be ok, how flexible are the zoning measurements ?

Sponsored Links
If your light fitting is rated below IPX4 it cannot go in Zone 2. I’m sorry but you cannot lower the zone 2/3 boundary.

Is the new fitting more or less waterproof than the old one? While this makes no difference to the wording of regulations, it might help you to make up your own minds on the situation.

Zone 3 is also more than 60cm sideways away from the bath or shower.

I would say the new fitting is about the same as the old one as far as waterproof goes.

what is confusing though, that the way i understand it I can install a pull cord for the shower (which i will be doing), along side the bath within the 60cm but higher than 2.25m from the floor and this will be within regs, but will also have a greater chance of being splashed by the shower as it will be a lot closer to it that the light fitting.

The height of our ceiling is 2.3m above the floor, so i have a zone 3 space of 5cm, does this make sense ?

Could i fit the pull cord using a dry lining box mounted in the ceiling, as this would give me even more clearance, and would look better, or do i need to use the back box that comes with it, i am only using it for a power shower with a 3amp supply, and not an electric shower.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
i don't think you could use a dry lining box effectively with a shower pull cord (unless you want your ceiling to come down ;) )

if you are going to recess it then get a deep metal backbox and run a strut between joists to screw it to

You don't need a stonking great shower pull switch - an ordinary light switch will do.

BTW - why does nobody make square pullcord light switches that can be flush mounted? Why are we still stuck with those manky and inconsistent round surface mount ones?

For a power shower, a 20amp (or less) pull cord could be used with a circular drylining box.

i thought a pull cord for a shower had to be double pole, can you get dp light pull switches ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back