Indesit WD12 washer-dryer trips RCD!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have had an Indesit WD12 Washer Dryer for about 2 years now. It's been fine until now but one morning I put a wash on and it tripped the RCD circuits in my house. I called Indesit (who are useless, by the way) and they suggested I order a new power cable from them and install that, so I did. But no luck, the machine keeps on tripping my damn electrics!

Does anyone have any ideas? How can I find out what the problem is without spending money on having and engineer look at it?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Leo.

Sponsored Links
Check for any leaks, I have known these machines drip water onto the motor plug. Also check for play in the drum bearings. Sometimes the bearings fail and the front edge of the inner drum cuts into the heater element.

Two years isn't long, and a washer-drier is expensive. You could try writing to the importers and saying it doesn't appear to have lasted a reasonable time ("Which?" says this often works).

I'm guessing some kind of damp problem, can you not see anything? Good to hear you've got an RCD and it's doing its job.

There are so many possibilities as to the cause.
Check the heater for the tumble drier side, the heater for the washer and the motor. Also check the mains filter/capacitor.

Power off before working on any appliance.

Sponsored Links
an expensive option:

throw it away and get one of each, it does have advantages.

you can dry and was at same time

you can dry whole of wash load

less to go wrong.

i know its not what you want to hear, but its true

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back