Inserting into concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wanted to insert a metal rod (12mm diameter) into some concrete, what would be the best way?

Drill the hole, fill with some kind of sealant, stick rod in? Or drill the hole, just insert the rod?

It is in a foundation, which is going to have concrete poured on top between two skins of a wall. Or is this a bit over zealous?

Sponsored Links
You could probably use some epoxy to hold the steel in the holes. What are you constructing?

knownothing said:
I looked for concrete epoxy at screwfix to no avail and have asked at my local builder's merchants but I get blank looks off the staff who work there.
What is it you want to do :?:

Sponsored Links
You need something like Screwfix No 16180, drill the hole 14mm for a 12mm rod. If the rod is to resist shear load you may get away without the adhesive, if it is in tension then adhesive is a must.

Jason

BTW, I take it you've made adequate provision for drainage?

I will be inserting weep holes at 1 metre intervals made from 22mm copper pipe at a slight angle, and have left a gap to put some land drain pipe down the back. Both these at an angle so that pressure is relieved. On top of the land drain is going to be 20mm gravel. Plastic sheeting between blocks and gravel.

Is that right?

OK. Just checking.

BTW, Have you ever tried to eat eggs without chewing ;)

When you drill the holes for the 12mm reinforcement bar, please remember to blow the dust out, otherwise the adhesive may not bond with the concrete and will just pull out. hole depth should be in the order or 150mm into the concrete.

Don't use copper pipe for weepholes as while this is very slow to corrode, plastic is far better for this job.

Finally with the drain running behind if you are using a 20mm single size aggregate (10mm or 8mm single size better) wrap the pipe in the geotextile with the gravel surrounding, this will prevent the local soil from washing into the gravel and blocking your weep holes.

Lastly..? how high is the retaining wall that is being built from blockwork..?

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I used compressed air to blow the dust out. I did do 150mm so that's a relief.

Thanks for the tip on the weep holes - I will use plastic then.

Thanks also for the tip on the drain pipe. I will use smaller than 20mm then - I got that from
wall02[1].gif

Can you tell me what 'geotextile' is? Actually, I am not sure if I am going a bit over the top with the drain pipe.

I really really appreciate your help. You are all very generous.

The wall is just under 1 metre high.

I am not sure what the eggs thing means. Can you enlighten me?!

I attach a picture to show you my work so far.

58AD0265.jpg

Just being nosey, is it just the top row of bricks upside down or all of them?

I am not sure what the eggs thing means. Can you enlighten me?
I was merely implying that you seem to have the situation well in hand. Teaching your grandmother to suck eggs is an expression that refers to offering assitance where it isn't needed. It appears to have it's origins in the work of the Spanish playwrite Quevedo. (translated into English by John Stevens in 1707). Although it is thought that this itself, was inspired by a classic Greek proverb "A swine to teach minerva". (translated by Nichola Udall in 1542.) that included the line "to teach our dame to spin".

Anyhow, since this post is in the "building" forum, could I ask you to stop asking all these questions about literature. :) So back to the thread, I've just spotted that you've been laying them bricks upside down. If you've been religiously filling the frogs before you lay them, the difference is negligable. If, however, the frogs are empty, this will cause the wall to be significantly weeker. Even so, the inclusion of the re-inforcing rods will probably compensate.

Ah yes, I have been doing them upside then. :oops: Although I have been religiously fillling the frogs with mortar beforehand. I thought that'd be best 'cus I imagined air pockets expanding and contracting with temperature and causing cracks and stuff.

I am halfway through another one now. Shall I start doing them the right way up? This means at one point there will be two beds together.

Again, thanks for all the tips and comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back