Inspection and test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it has been some years since i took the 2391 exam and i was asked by a friend yesterday to 'see if i need a rewire'. I undertook all the relevant tests, all the cables were new ish but all identified correctly etc. He asked me if he needed a new board as the one he had used fuses, but was 'fairly' modern. I said it would be better to use a new mcb/rcd board but when asked if it was illeagal not to, my honest answer was that id didnt know. can someone shed some light?

Sponsored Links
If you are inspecting and testing it needs to be to the current standards, any recommendations should therefore be to todays regs. Things to look for include: Is main/supp bonding correct and in place? Are sockets reasonably expected to supply portable equipment outdoors on an RCD? Although old fashioned by todays standards, if everything is up to scratch and they are maintained correctly (i.e. no 6in nails) there is nothing wrong with the old rewirable fuses.

who took my fluke? said:
I said it would be better to use a new mcb/rcd board but when asked if it was illeagal not to, my honest answer was that id didnt know.

You should be inspecting, testing and reporting on the condition of the installation as compared to the current edition of the wiring regulations. As these are not a statutory requirement there is no way any non-compliance could actually be illegal. Further, as Spark123 has said, there is nothing inherently wrong with fuses.

I know this was a freebie for a friend, but if you are carrying out PIRs for profit you really should know this... especially as question 2 on your 2391 paper is likely to have been about the legal status of publications. ;)

Sponsored Links
fuses are not in themselves a problem but they can be indicitive of other issues.

There are nasty derating factors that will make rings on 30A rewirables almost certainly noncompliant.

There is probablly a lack of RCD protection which is troublesome to add with a board of that age.

as for legality i am pretty sure there isn't any law forcing rewires on properties that are not to current standards but many letting agents and buyers will frown on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back