Inspection chamber

16 Nov 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Good morning/afternoon

Are there any building regulations regarding the specification of drains inspection chambers

I'm in the process of building an extension to a tiny property (1 up 1 down) and have the underground drains in place.

The drains are to run into a shallow (about 300mm deep) inspection chamber on my land

can i use a plastic inspection chamber with a toughened plastic 350mm x 350mm square lid or does it have to be a bigger one witha galvanised lid?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes there are building regulations for access chambers.

300mm deep drainage sounds very shallow, i assume it is in a possition that it can not be disturbed or concrete encased. Is it a surface water drain or foul?

Yes plastic chambers are fine, and covers depend on location. If its say in a garden area a plastic cover should be fine but i would recommend it is secured to stop unathorised access (ie. children).
Thanks for the respone

The drain is for sewage and is to be encased in concrete.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local