Install double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a complete novice to wiring. I need to put in a double switch for fan and lighting in bathroom. The fan was disconnected long before I moved in so I don't know how it was originally wired. I pulled the plate and found one red wire to bottom of light switch and one black one to top. I also found two white wires taped together with black tape, and part of the black wire was taped to reveal two black ones further on. The green ground wire is wired to the handy box. How do I wire this up on a double switch which I purchased, has two screw connectors on each side and ground at top, 15amp 120 leviton switch. Any help greatly appreciated. I am located in USA

Sponsored Links
JohnT said:
I am a complete novice to wiring. I need to put in a double switch for fan and lighting in bathroom. The fan was disconnected long before I moved in so I don't know how it was originally wired. I pulled the plate and found one red wire to bottom of light switch and one black one to top. I also found two white wires taped together with black tape, and part of the black wire was taped to reveal two black ones further on. The green ground wire is wired to the handy box. How do I wire this up on a double switch which I purchased, has two screw connectors on each side and ground at top, 15amp 120 leviton switch. Any help greatly appreciated. I am located in USA
The best thing to do is start form scratch! you need 1. double pole Isolation switch, 2. Cable 6242Y 1.5mm (for thermal volt Drop in Roof) 3. New fan.
Put the Isolation switch out side of the room were the fan is. Wire the fan as you would a light, use the light in the bathroom phase(live) neautral and earth( you might not need a earth if it is double Insulated) to the double pole switch then to the fan. make sure you switch off you power supply at you consumer unit (fuse box). And make sure the lighting circuit can cope with the supply demand of your new fan. :idea: if in dout consult a electrician. Make sure he fan is out of reach of water.

James, America has different cable sizes and regulations than we do, i doubt if JohnT will understand what you mean :cry:

Thank you for the response, at one time there was a single switch that operated both the fan and the light when turned on or off. This is a 120 Vt box 15amp load. I dug around a little and found out the red wire is generally pre-wired by housing contractor when built in the event a heavy load will be used. The information I got on this is that I need to put a jumper on the double switch lugs top and bottom, run one leg of black to same top lug on left side of switch lugs, than install nuetrals to the right side top and bottom lugs. Put electrical tape on red wire and bury in box (no use) and than test.
I will let you know if it works and I appreciate your response.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Since you are a complete novice at wiring-- take a course at your local college or call an electrician before you burn your house down

Back