Install Shower Tray or Floor Tiles First?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to add a shower to a downstairs loo with chipboard floor. I've read that I should replace the chipboard with ply and install the tray before the wall tiles, but should I tile under the shower tray (ie. tile the floor first), or leave it mounted onto the plywood and tile up to it (ie. install the tray first)? My gut feel is to go under it, as that will make it easier to get under the tray for maintenance - any advice?

Sponsored Links
its far easier to tile first and just go underneath slightly to save on ugly cuts near the edge of the the tray,you can always level up the other side with some off cuts

That might be an easier way to tile but pretty poor building method regarding fittindg the shower!! Always put a shower tray on a solid level base, if the chipboard on your bathroom floor is the green moisture resistant type then it should be okay, if not maybe think about replacing it.Regarding access to the shower unless you build the tray up on a stollage then you wont be able to access the pipe work whether you tile first or not.

Regarding the wall tiles same applies always fit the trat first, that gives you the oppurtunity to double seal the tray ie, you can then get a bead of silicone between the wall and tray abutment and also following tiling another bead between tile and tray abutment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back