Install TRVs without a blowtorch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I currently have a central heating system in my house with standard valves on each radiator. As we progress around the house decorating I wish to replace these with TRVs.

The piping is 15mm copper and each radiator has a threaded inlet / outlet pipe.

I have seen TRVs installed in the past my a plumber who cut each pipe feeding the radiator about 10cm below each valve. He then solder jointed a new piece of pipe to the bit that was left and fitted the TRV to the new bit of pipe. This worked but means solder joints (which i would like to avoid) and a visible joint on each pipe feeding the radiators.

Are there any methods of installing TRVs which don't require solder jointing pipes and don't leave and visible joints in the copper feeds pipes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
remove valve. cut of olive without marking pipe. remove nut. fit new trv.you may have to change the tail in the rad. alternativly excisting nut may fit new trv.

just use the existing nut and olive if theres enough play on your pipe simple

Wow, thanks for the fast answers.

Any hints for removing the olive without marking the pipe?

Sponsored Links
I think he meant any-cheap diy - ways to remove olives ;) Dremel.if you`ve got one ;)

Junior hacksaw. Be very careful though..Cut olive at an angle, periodically check progress through olive. I find that cutting half way through & then using a small flat head screwdriver, (placed in newly cut groove),twist it, this will snap the olive :!:

I didn't know there were specific tools for removing olives!!

Just done a quick search and it appears there are olive removers and olive pullers. Any suggestions which to go for?

As I have 8 radiators, thats 16 olives to remove. Think its worth investing in a tool rather than risk damaging the pipes.

Quite! A 'remover' (which cuts the olive at 2 points) is usually easier to work with than a puller (which does what it says). Good investment, for a lot of valves, especially if all / most will take a TRV without mods to the pipe. If the existing nut and olive are in good condition and compatible with the new valve, why not use them?

Most olives can be removed by gripping with water pump pliers and twisting. They will gradually work their way up the pipe. See if you really need anything more sophisticated before splashing out on olive pullers/removers. Diagonal cutting with hacksaw works fine. Also check if there is enough play on the pipe. If so you may be able to just cut off the existing pipe end/olive.

diy_dude
You are only changing 1 valve on each rad. so 8 olives. It realy is easy with a junior hacksaw with a bit of care. The nut on the pipe will probably be the right thread unless you are very unlucky. The new valve should go on the feed side unless you get bi-directional TRV`s.
JonB

I am old bit of pipe in the shed with a compression olive on the end. I'll have a go with a hacksaw and see how I get on before taking the plunge.

Should I replace the non TRV at the other end of the radiator at the same time?

Thanks ever so much for all your advice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back