Installing a 12v shower light!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive just installed a 9.5kw shower, using 10mm wiring. Now i want to put a 12v shower light into the cubicle, so when i turn on the shower via the pole switch it will also turn on the shower light. Do i need to run 10mm wire to a 5amp fused box then 1mm wiring to the 12v lights, or is it safe to run 1mm wiring straight from the pole switch to the fused box and then to the 12v lights (i presume this cant be done) ?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Sponsored Links
You MUST run 10mm cable from the pull cord switch to the fused spur, because if there is a short the 1mm cable would glow like a lamp, and set fire to your house, but seeing as you can not get 2 10mm cables into a pull cord switch (bad enough getting in one) you can not do that. sorry

I did find a "pir ocupancy switch" which turns the light on when it sees someone aproaching but you cant use it in a bathroom because it has a manual switch on the front, and a "standalone" pir has controls too ("plate" switch is not allowed in a bath room)

looks like you will have to have a separate pull cord switch (just a thought, you can put a separte pull cord switch in and twist the two cords together, pulling them both at the same time, but the new light would obviously be fed from your existing lighting circuit)

Ok thankyou Breezer, that ocupancy switch would have been an excellent idea if it didnt have the manual switch, shame.

Guess ill just have to run of the existing light like you say.

Appreciated

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back