Installing a 2 way switch

mab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am trying to add a 2 way switch in my kitchen as the clever architect did not put a light switch in the kitchen for the lights! There are 2 sets of lights in the kitchen the ceiling lights and also lights under the cabinets.
The switch to operate is outside in the hall. However I spoke to electrician on site and he said he had put additional cabling in to add a 2 way switch.

The problem is I cant figure out how to wire it up, the switch that controls the ceiling lights has a brown wire to L2 and C2 there is an additional brown wire linking the 2 com ports.
The cable that is available for has the following wires grey,black,brown and earth.

The location in the kitchen where I am going to put the 2 way switch in has a 1 way switch which controls an outside light, therefore I am going to replace this with a 2 way. The cable that is available to connect to the kitchen ceiling light has the following wires grey,black,brown and earth.

I have tried to figure out what wire should go where but am struggling.

Can any one help please.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I have already looked at this but what I cant figure out is on the existing switch why are the 2 com ports connected with a brown wire

mab said:
Thanks,
I have already looked at this but what I cant figure out is on the existing switch why are the 2 com ports connected with a brown wire
Because it's controlling 2 sets of lights, but has only 1 live feed?

I think it will be much easier for people to understand what you've got, and what you want to do, if you repost your question without mixing up the terms "2-gang switches" and "2-way switches".

For example said:
The location in the kitchen where I am going to put the 2 way switch in has a 1 way switch which controls an outside light, therefore I am going to replace this with a 2 way.
If you really did that you'd then have a 2-way switch working as a 1-way switch controlling the outside light - it would do nothing regarding the kitchen lights....

Switches where you have two in different locations, e.g. hall and landing, working one light, are 2-way.

Two switches on one plate is a 2-gang. It might or might not be a 2-way switch, and if it is a 2-way switch it might only be used as a 1-way.

You can get 1-way and 2-way single gang, 2-gang, 3-gang, and 4-gang switches.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the advice.

The switch which controls the main kitchen light is a 2 gang it also switches on the lights under the kitchen cabinets. I want to add a second switch in place of the 1 way switch which only controls the outside light which is located in the kitchen. I have purchased a 2 gang switch one switch to operate the outside light and one to operate the kitchen light. I basically want to be able to switch the kitchen lights on from 2 locations. I assume that the common port on the original 2 gang would need to have 2 ports connected as before.

mab said:
Ok thanks for the advice.

The switch which controls the main kitchen light is a 2 gang it also switches on the lights under the kitchen cabinets. I want to add a second switch in place of the 1 way switch which only controls the outside light which is located in the kitchen. I have purchased a 2 gang switch one switch to operate the outside light and one to operate the kitchen light.
OK - so both switches, the existing 2-gang in the kitchen and the new 2-gang that you are fitting in place of the 1-gang need to be 2-way switches, if not then you won't be able to do this.

I basically want to be able to switch the kitchen lights on from 2 locations.
So on each switch you'll have one gang working in 2-way mode, and the other in 1-way.

For the 1-way sides just use COM and L1.

The two way sides will need to be linked with the 3-core & earth cable that is there, and there's a diagram of that in the For Reference section. It shows the old colours, but the principle is the same. Red has become brown, yellow black and blue grey.

I assume that the common port on the original 2 gang would need to have 2 ports connected as before.
No - you'll be moving the permanent live to either L1 or L2, so the link cable will have to run from there to the COM of the gang being used as 1-way.

Don't forget to sleeve and connect the earths.

Don't forget to sleeve the ends of black & grey wires with brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back