Installing a 8.5KW Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current set up: I have a comsumer unit with 6 x mcbs 2 x 6A, 1 x 16A & 3 x 32A. The consumer unit says "Total Load 60A".
Question 1: Could someone explain what Total Load means? It suggests in this casew that if I have the shower and cooker on at the same time regardless of anything else, I will be overloading! surely not!?
One of the 32A mcbs is dedicated to the existing shower. I have bought a 40A mcb to repalce it per the shower installation instructions. Wired between the meter and the CU I have some form of 100A circuit breaker with the words "ASN 100R 100A MEM".
Question 2: Can anyone explain what this is... RCB maybe??
The shower installation instructions say I need an RCB between the cu and the shower (or as part of the cu) I have no spare spaces in the cu.
Question 3: With my existing set up am I ok to just change the mcb from 32A to 40A or do I still need the rcd?
In a few months time I will be converting a workshop to a shower room so I will need a second dedicated circuit for the second shower. Would changing the existing cu to a larger one be the best answer in the long term? If so can I get mcbs/rcds that simply plug into the new cu??
I have some experience of changing/moving/installing both lighting/power but I am not confident enough to go ahead with this without consulting you experts out there! ;) :confused: Advice will be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
in plain english total load is the Maximum you can use at one time, so if for example i had two showers that each use 40 amps that would be too much as 2 x 40 = 80

For what is an rcd see this it explains it in plain English

As for changing the 32 A mcb to a 40 A rcd that depends on the size of cable installed. Most of the time you install the maximum sized mcb for a given cable size, so to put in a bigger one would be dangerous without changing the cable ( the idea is that if there is a fault the mcb trips, but if the cable is not big enough then it will get hotter and hotter and eventulay catch fire)

I would say since you will have to do it sooner or later why not chnge the consumers unit now.

Get an electrician to do it for you, as by law you are NOT allowed to touch the suppliers main fuse (which you must to change the consumers unit)

get several quotes, find out what the electricans want ie parts and buy them your self, but get the electrcians to do the work for you.

Better safe than sorry

Thanks Breezer....I'll take your advice....when it comes to electricity a DIYer must know his/her limits!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back