Installing a new cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a new cooker hood - the kitchen doesn't appear to have had one before.
The hob looks like it is on it's own 6mm cable from the consumer unit, and passes through a switch on the wall (typical cooker switch with socket but no fuse compartment showing on the front).
If the fuse in the consumer unit can take the extra load, can I simply wire the cooker hood into the switch on the wall. Does this switch need to be replaced by one with a visible fuse compartment on the front, or is mine likely to have a fuse built in, or does it not need one as it runs directly to the fuse on the consumer unit - any advise gratefully received. Thanks. (cooker is separate on a plug)

Sponsored Links
I'd spur it off the ring main rather than hooking it up to the cooker connection. At least, that's what I'm planning to do with mine.

Cooker switches do not have fuses. EVER.

Fused connection units (FCU) do, though.

Find a socket on a ring main to spur off, and run the cable to an FCU, and up to the hood.

Bear in mind, all additions to fixed wiring in kitchens now come under part p of the building regs and are, as such, notifiable to your local area building control department.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back