Installing a shower booster pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to install a wall mounted shower pressure booster (Triton T40i) in my bathroom and need some wiring advice. The installation leaflet says that the booster pump needs to be wired using 1mm2 cabling and a double pole 3 amp, fused switch. I currently have an extractor fan installed that is feed from a 3 amp fuse using 1mm2 cabling. Can I change this to the double pole switch and run the shower off it as well or will that cause problems?

I read the shower installation articles and posts but couldn't find any that described installation of a low amp shower pump on an existing extractor circuit so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sumit

Sponsored Links
It really depends whether your fan is controlled by the lights. If it is, wiring the pump to that will mean only having a shower when the lights are on. Really, the ideal solution is to fit a new Fused connection unit (switch with a fuse) to the ring main and fit that with a 3 amp fuse.

The fan is controlled from the lights but it stays running after the lights have been switched off. If this is operated using a relay I cannot see where the relay is connected. I should probably test current after the fuse to see if it is live all the time?

Thanks for the response

Sumit

The fan has an in-built timer, and a permenant live feed, as well as the switched live from the lights. Someone has connected a FCU to protect it with 3 amps instead of 5amps like the lights. When the switched live (your lights) is switched off, the fan still has a live feed, and runs on that for the timed interval. I cant recall how an FCU is wired in such a setup, but i wouldnt go interfereing with it or testing it. Use a seperate FCU for your pump, on the ring main.

Sponsored Links
Keep it separatly fused - and Id suggest powerig off the ring main, not the lights. It will work OK, but you will find the dipping lights most annoying when the motor starts up, and back EMF from the motor can confuse certain types of electronic dimmer.

Yeah, don't wire a motor into the lighting - the inrush currents may trip the mcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back