Installing a soil stack internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything on the market than can be used / placed on the top of on an internall soil stack to avoid having to put the stack through the roof of a house. Or do buiding regualtions state that this is not allowed. Any advice would be most appreciatated. :oops:

Sponsored Links
do you mean an air addmittance valve

p2266076_l.jpg

I think that is what I'm after - are there any requirements, in terms of where the soil stack and the air admittance valve can be positioned. i.e. in the loft space or boxed in in a room. Che ;) ers

Sponsored Links
I think its got to be i a vented space or boxing and be 1.2 mtr above highest waste trap.But dont quote me on that.

1.33 Ventilated discharge stacks may be
terminated inside a building when fitted with air
admittance valves complying with prEN 12380.
Where these valves are used they should not
adversely affect the amount of ventilation
necessary for the below ground system which
is normally provided by open stacks of the
sanitary pipework. Air admittance valves shouldbe located in areas which have adequate ventilation, should be accessible for
maintenance and should be removable to give
access for clearance of blockages. Air
admittance valves should not be used outside
buildings or in dust laden atmospheres. Where
there is no open ventilation on a drainage
system or through connected drains,
alternative arrangements to relieve positive
pressures should be considered.

I think its got to be i a vented space or boxing and be 1.2 mtr above highest waste trap.But dont quote me on that

Sorry to have to quote you on that but AFAIK it's so that the inlet [which is about 3 inches down from the top of the fitting] is 'above the overspill level of the highest wc pan'

Suggest about 6 inches above should be adequate

We covered this subject at college a few months ago.
My understanding is that you can only use an air admitance valve on a new stub stack if the house has already got a vent pipe to allow gases out.
An AAV only lets in air to protect against loss of trap seal. :D

Always seek permission from BCOs is the rule drummed in to us at college. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back