Installing a wood burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, at the mo we have a old electric fire,if we wanted to change this for a wood burner(we have a chimnie) what would we have to do?
Cheers ray :oops:

Sponsored Links
probably get a sweep in to check and clean the chimney first,he could then advise you on weither you need a liner putting in

Sponsored Links
We just had a woodburner installed. Previous fire was a gas fire with back boiler, and chimney had a liner suitable for gas fire (thin aluminium, I think). Fitter advised pukka stainless steel liner. I deliberated about this at great length as I thought brick chimney would be OK, and save me £300 for the liner. In the end decided to go with liner. Result?

Definitely have liner installed. The efficiency of the burner relies on getting heat into the flue asap to assist drawing, especially on dank, airless days. The liner will heat up much more quickly than a brick/stone chimney and you will benefit from easy lighting, and getting heat out of the burner within minutes. Also, easier to clean and maintain, and no risk whatever of smoke leaking through any hidden cracks in the brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back