Installing additional exterior lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm new to the site and to home electrics. I currently have one low powered exterior light connected to the ceiling rose in the hallway. I want to install three 500W PIR lights outside. I presume I can't connect these to the wiring already going to the low powered exterior light, and must instead run new wiring from my fuse box. Am I right? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Why the hell do you want 3x 500w lights? The only thing you'll achieve is a higher electricity bill and a few ****ed off neighbours.

Anyway, if you decide to go ahead, 3x 500w = 1500w so you'll need to run a new circuit in at least 1.5mm² cable connected to a 10A MCB. This work is notifiable.

Davy

Not all in the same place! One at the front, one at the side and one at the rear of the house and they'll be PIR activated.

500w in one place is still more than you need unless you have fields surrounding your house and if you do just arm your groundsmen :LOL:
My neighbour has a 150W PIR and it gets right on my t*ts when it comes on at night because not even blackout curtains stop the light.

Like I said, if you decide to fit them anyway, you'll need to inform your BCO and pay the fee or get a registered sparky in to fit them for you.

You could just power them from fused spurs connected to the socket circuit. Fit a 3A fuse and run 1.5mm² t&e to the light. If you go straight through the wall into the back of the light fitting it isn't notifiable. Standard t&e isn't suitable for use outdoors where it is subjected to direct light use hi-tuf instead.

Davy

Sponsored Links
I use 26W PL floods.

IMO they are as bright as a 300W flood, which is plenty bright enough for most domestic external lighting situations.

They are not power hungry, and can be pinched from most circuits as the increase in load is minimal, also no heavy duty switching is required.

davy_owen_88 said:
My neighbour has a 150W PIR and it gets right on my t*ts when it comes on at night because not even blackout curtains stop the light.

Amen to that. One of my neighbours across the close has a PIR activated light that goes off very quickly. Unforyunately that means it's on, off, on, off...........

I'm on the lookout for an old lighthouse fitting so that I can get my own back. :LOL:

Why people need massive floodlights to light an 8 foot walk from their car door to their front door is completely beyond me. This bugger even has a street light outside his house. Grrrrrrrr

Demonic said:
I'm on the lookout for an old lighthouse fitting so that I can get my own back. :LOL:

Would this do?

Large1500.jpg

RF Lighting said:
Demonic said:

Would this do?

Large1500.jpg

I'd rather have one that rotates of it's own accord. I dare say that most of my close has annoyed me at one time or another. That way I could get my own back on all or them at once. :D

Demonic said:
I'd rather have one that rotates of it's own accord. :D

300_farallon_island_light_fresnel_lens_IMG_6506.jpg

The fresnel lens from the Farallon island lighthouse USA.

That should do it ;)

Make sure you get one with a fog horn too ;)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

RF: i've got a 40w chrome lantern by the front door with 4 20w halogen downlights along the front path, not very energy conscious i know. But through the side passage i have 2 16w 2D fittings, a 26w flood by the back door, 2 26w floods by the back steps and a 150w metal halide floodlight pointing down the garden. The front lights are lit from dusk to 11pm, the passage lights and back door flood are PIR controlled as well as a manual override, the rest are used when required via an outdoor switch by the back steps.

I think the anser is they cost very little

may i suggest you get

prd{AA0FFA85-11FC-4E30-8F0C-12AB892BA3DB}.jpg

it not only goes round but is in a vairety of colours, only£118

or

prd{F729E3A4-6279-4E80-BFA2-8B7B75E490CC}.jpg

only 11.50 point it at his house and say you were taking pictures

hmmm, foghorn,

you want a truck like this

t4test.jpg

click me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back