Installing an Intercom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not an electric wiring question per se but one for an electrician most likely.

I have an old Videx (model 22.0218?) intercom installed (consisting of an internal wall mounted phone with 4-wires, a buzzer located in the hall, plus an external speaker + microphone with 6-wires) which is not working correctly. The microphone-in works but the speaker-out doesnt. I suspect corrosion over time due to the natural elements of weather.

I have bought a new replacement intercom and the intention is to replace the external component only, which is 7.5V DC. It is an A58FQ from Maplins.

However, the wiring is different. The original intercom has 6 wires:

C1 white
squiggle blue (these two seem to be the buzzer)
-ve brown/black
+ve red
2 yellow
1 green

There are 4-wires at the internal handset, so I presume the two others are going to the buzzer.

However, the new intercom has only 3 wires:

A yellow
GND black
B+ red

Am I attempting a wild goose chase by attempting to connect the old with the new? If not, would anyone have a clue as to how I would attempt to connect it up? My only course of action at this moment is to try trial-and-error.

Any help/hints appreciated, Thanks,

Whirlwashman

ps: although I am not based in UK (I am in Ireland) our systems are very similar as to be negigible, I would imagine, especially this case.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

> Why dont you replace both the indoor and outdoor units

The new replacement internal handset is powered by a standard 3-pin plug socket connector and it converts AC to 12V DC (in the handset). The current (old) handset doesnt use a plug and I presume is getting a DC and low voltage supply (probably also 12V) from the circuit board, which must be powering both the handset and the external speaker/microphone. I dont know if the buzzer is getting the same supply but I presume so. As there is no plug socket nearby where the internal phone is located, its not a straightforward alternative and would require perhaps more work.

Thanks for asking,

Whirlwashman

Sponsored Links
easiest way is as has been said, change the whole lot at the same time, buy a complete kit, that way it will all be compatable, no faafing around trying to make brand g work with brand k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back