Installing downlights with no earth wire AFAIK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :D

I want to install 7 20W downlights with a dimmer but the light fixtures in my house only have 2 wires (black and red) with no earth wire. Does this mean I can ONLY use low voltage downlights with a 150W transformer or can mains downlights be used? Could it be that I have a combined earth and neutral wire?
Also if a main downlight is rated at 50W does this mean it can only accept
50W bulbs? If I wanted to put in say a 35W bulb into a 50W main downlight is this possible?
one more question if you please - whats the easiest and safest way to connect all the downlights to a transfomer / main circuit. Should I get junction boxes or daisy chain. and would a 1.5mm2 cable be enough?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You can use only class two equipment (look for a symbol of two concentric squares)... if you instal LV fittings then the fittings themselves should be Class 2, if you are using SELV fittings then it is the transformer you should look for the class number on it (and most will be class 2 these days)

You won't have a TN-C system... and don't even think about it!

The Electricity Safety said:
(4) A consumer shall not combine the neutral and protective functions in a single conductor in his consumer's installation.

(Part II, Regulation 8 )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back