Installing motion dictator with 3 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 way switch installed alredy. I want to add motion dictator to this circut...I have 1 light bulb, when motion sensed, motion dictator has to turn light on and when I flip one of the 3 way switch. I need to turn the same light bulb on whenever I wish....how do I do that??

Sponsored Links
what is a (as you say) motion dictator ? never heard of it. If you mean a passive infra red movement sensor (thing that detects movement of infra red heat) then you would have to connect its switched live output to the switched side of your existing switch.

But as this is a U.K based forum i am sorry i can not say which colours you should use, also you will need a neutral feed too.

may i suggest you ask the canadian electrical forum which is here

what I meant to say is movement sensor, wiring is universal so that's now in question but what puzzling me is how do I connect movement sensor to trigger the light when one of the 3 way switch is in off(light bulb is off). light bulb in the 3-way circuit be turn on when movement sensor is enabled....my idea is connect movement sensor wire before the 1st 3-way switch and connect second wire after 2nd 3-way switch ! does it work? any danger to this connection?

breezer said:
what is a (as you say) motion dictator ? never heard of it. If you mean a passive infra red movement sensor (thing that detects movement of infra red heat) then you would have to connect its switched live output to the switched side of your existing switch.

But as this is a U.K based forum i am sorry i can not say which colours you should use, also you will need a neutral feed too.

may i suggest you ask the canadian electrical forum which is here

Sponsored Links
If I understand your question correctly, you are planning on hooking up the motion detector in parallel with your three-way switch, so that either the switch or the motion detector can turn on the light?

If so, this is a violation of American electrical codes, and it's probably a violation of Canadian codes as well. The switch must always be able to turn the light off, and hooking up the motion detector in parallel with it would disable this ability (even if the switch is off, the motion detector can turn the light on, this is a bad thing).

Check with a Canadian electrician before going any farther.

Back