installing new shower trap!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there... any experts out there? i'm about to install a new coram shower tray but just wanted to check how to correctly install the shower trap. we've had problems with previous installation so thought it best to do it ourselves! it's a top access mushroom flange trap with one rubber washer. Does the rubber washer sit on the top side of the tray or the bottom... and do i need to use any silicon sealant? if so, which side? (the top, underside or both) Any advice much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
i am not an eggspurt but previous experience says that the washer goes underneath , and i would silicone round the chrome waste that fits from the top and leave to curr :LOL: cheers

Sponsored Links
silicon under the face of the trap were the plug goes .. this stops water going under that then with the trap in place silicon under the shower base add the rubber and more silicon screw on the locking nut then tidy up all the excess with a wet cloth and leave to cure 24 hrs to be sure .. :)

IMHO all that silicone may prevent leaks but it will end up in the threads and the waste will be a nightmare to remove if you ever have a problem.

Get some plumbers mait (merchant or shed - commonly stocked) and roll into a tube as if it was plasticine and squash it round the underside of the waste where it sits in the tray. Insert into the tray and press down as hard as you can and make sure it squeezes out. Centralise it and put the rubber washer on the underside and, stopping the waste twisting, screw up the nut and tighten. More plumbers mait should squeeze out and you can trim it with a craft knife or slotted screwdriver head. Much cleaner than silicone.

The only place the waste could leak is the joint between tray and waste so, if you fit it properly, there is no need whatsoever to silicon the washer on the underside.

Use silicone on all the mating sufaces, don't overtighten as the washer will squish out. Use the ccorrect trap ie normally 75mm seal deapth and make sure the center piece can be removed for cleaning.

Quality plumbing ie correct waste pipe sizing, correct gradients, sufficient access points etc don't require the trap to be removed.

Obviously Kwacker doesn't like to get his hands dirty - must be an office boy not a real plumber :LOL:

Chuck your plumbers mait in the bin where it belongs.

Yeah, yeah......

I attended to a sub-floor leak in a mill conversion. It was p*shing out under the bath. Owner's cousin, a plumber (so I was told) had fitted a replacement bath. Waste - no mait, no silicone, no washer, nut not even hand tight, you could pull the waste up with your finger 5mm. I was tempted to seal the whole of the bottom of the bath with silicone, just in case. It's the way you do it nowadays, apparantly. :D

Ant2476, take your pick from the options listed, they will all work, just take your time.

Gasguru said:
Use silicone on all the mating sufaces,

Obviously Kwacker doesn't like to get his hands dirty - must be an office boy not a real plumber :LOL:

Chuck your plumbers mait in the bin where it belongs.

"Well,Well !! if it isn't the Silicone Kid again :eek:

Instructions from McAlpine 1 1/2 shower trap with top access & mushroom flange.

1. Place rubber seal in recess on top of trap and offer up this assembly to underside of shower tray.

2. Apply NEUTRAL SILICON SEALANT (Dow corning 794 or equivalent) between threaded wast flange and shower tray.

3. Position trap outlet in desired position and screw aste into trap.
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, HAND + 1/4 TURN IS ENOUGH.
DO NOT USE TRAP TO TIGHTEN ASSEMBLY.
DO NOT USE TRAP TO SUPPORT TRAY.

4. Place mushroom flange into waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back