installing outdoor lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install an outdoor light and some spotlights in my decking. is it possible for me to spur of a socket in the kitchen to a switched fused spur.and have them both of this same switch. other ideas are welcomed!!

Sponsored Links
award25 said:
I would like to install an outdoor light
ok
award25 said:
and some spotlights in my decking.
dont!
award25 said:
is it possible for me to spur of a socket in the kitchen to a switched fused spur.and have them both of this same switch.
yes.
award25 said:
other ideas are welcomed!!
If you're going to have spotlights in the decking, use LED ones, as a cluster of LEDs only use about 2 watts of electricity. Go for extra low voltage fittings for this. What sort of outside light were you thinking? Will it be on for a long time or just short periods?

it will only be on for short periods during the summer! 1.5mm 3 core flex wll be okay to run to the light then link off to the led's (yes)

Ok, if you have a mains voltage outdoor light, for main lighting, and low voltage LED spots in the deck, you will need a transformer in between. The transformer normally sits inside the house. So it will be best to have the main light on its own cable from the house, and the LED lights fed from a transformer indoors. Boh can still be fed from the same 3 amp FCU spur.

2.5mm² cable should be used to supply the fused spur, then 1mm can be used after the fused spur.

Sponsored Links
I fitted stainles steel GU10 deck lights, and fitted main voltage LED lamps in them. To me, this was easier than trannies etc.

i recommended ELV due to the safety aspect, and the fact that they might be available as a kit. ;)

I've just fitted myself some nice solar powered LED deck lights, not too expensive either!

They must be the nicest solar lights i have seen, where did you get them?

:rolleyes:

pict0091ho1.jpg

breezer said:
They must be the nicest solar lights i have seen, where did you get them?

Wilkos, ten pounds for two.

It's only a rented house so I don't want to spend too much!!

Tim 77 thank you.

Lectrician, i did say nicest solar lights I know that in general solar lights are junk and a waste of time, but as Timm 77 pointed out they are cheap (and alos it depends what you intend to do with them) Ideally i would like outdoor colour changing led lights but i have to make do with muy indoor ones that i "adapted" to go outdoors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back