1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing switches that isolate the neutral of a line

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by pbalino, 4 Apr 2005.

1. pbalino

pbalino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am trying to understand the purpose of installing bipolar switches that cut also the neutral when we have to protect an equipment with load more than 1500Watt. What is the risk of installing just a normal one pole fuse?
    Could somebody give me a hint :?:

Thanks
    Pbalino

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Kibble

Kibble

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Pbalino. To be honest I do not know the answer to your question, but I have a very strong suspicion that it is to enable circuits with an earth fault to be isolated. I have noted that many european countries that have used RCD's for many years often have double pole MCB's & switches. Additionally any switch used as an "isolator" should disconnect all current carrying conductors for the safety of people performing maintainance on fixed electrical equipment, such as water heaters etc.

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local