installing wall handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am attempting to install a wall mounted handrail and was hoping someone could help!!!. The wall in question seems to be a plaster board covered stud wall with breeze block behind (wall separating semi detached house). Is it possible to attach the handrail and brackets into the stud /joist wood behind the plasterboard.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
No, you don't want to hang the handrail on the plasterboard only. You want to mount the handrail support brackets on the wall where the wall studs are so that the studs are supporting the handrail, not just plasterboard.

And, prolly the best tool to find wall studs is a Zircon StudSensor like the one shown here:

http://www.zircon.com/sellpages/ScanAndSensor/SS/SS.html

These tools will locate both edges of a wood or metal stud accurately with ease behind plasterboard. With 3/4 inch thick plaster covered by ceramic tiling, it's very much a matter of getting a "consensus of opinion" from a dozen or so scans. But, it will locate the stud even through the tiling and plaster.

You should be able to find these in the UK. If not, then someone in the UK probably makes a similar tool.

Hi thanks for the help. I didn't think plasterboard plugs would be supportive enough knowing how much pressure is applied to the handrail so screwing into the timber stud was the best way. I have done very little diy before this (being a girly girl!!) and so any help was great.

Also the screws supplied with the support brackets are only 1 and 1/2 inches long. I take it I will probably need longer ones?
Again thanks

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you have a block wall (not studs) with dry lining (plasterboard spot dabbed to the blocks). drill and fix the rail using minimum 3" 10's. but be aware, when pulling the screws in tight, that you dont crush the plasterboard in as well ( just in case the dabbers were a little light on adhesive!) . some board dabbers will put a solid bead of adheseive at floor level to prevent this happening when the skirting boards are fixed.

Try drilling a sample hole (where it will be later hidden by the handrail) through the plasterboard and see what is behind it.

Is yours a timber-framed house, or fairly old?

The thing about handrails is that you might think you'll just lightly slide your fingers along them when descending the stairs, but if an elderly person, or you after you've broken your leg or sprained your ankle, goes down those stairs, the rail may be used for support.

When I was in plaster I ripped a radiator off a wall trying to steady myself, and have loosened the handrails going down to my kitchen through leaning on them heavily. It can be very worrying if you're hanging onto something because you're afraid of tumbling down the stairs, and it comes loosee

sam sam has already stated that its the party wall between a pair of semis, so logic would suggest it will be masonry, regardless of wether the rest is timber frame.

i have the same style party wall, block wall with timber framing and plasterboarding, I removed my staircase handrail and opted for a wall mounted rail in order to open my living room up, All i did was to get a piece of 4" x half inch softwood, pre-screwed around 10 heavy use plasterboard fixings to the wall, the grey screw type that simply screw in, slapped no nails on the back of the softwood, fixed the 10 screws in and let it dry to the wall,
Next day fill the holes with woodfiller, stain to suit then when dry attach the hand rail to the softwood and 4 years later its still up and no signs of movement despite my pops putting his weight on it when he calls round now and again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back