Insulating a garden shed - plaster or ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken delivery of a nice large shed, and have partitioned off a space for storing items like electrical equipment.

Looking to insulate the partitioned space (and already have rockwool slabs) but not sure whether to finish off with plasterboard, plywood, or even hardboard.

I'd guess hardboard is poor because of potential damp, but not sure about hardboard (wouldn't want to go to the expense of marine plyboard) Hardboard seems to be around 3-4x cost of plasterboard.

The only concern is I haven't yet fitted horizontal battens so plasterboard might be a bit shaky.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with internal shed linings?

Sponsored Links
Make sure your shed has a good 'hat and boots'

i.e. make sure its roof wont fail

and make sure there is no way damp can rise up through its base (because of timber sitting in puddles etc)

it needs coating as well with the best stuff you can afford

if all that is sorted, you wont have any trouble with linings

I have used exterior plywood on mine, easier to put shelves up or whatever

Depending on what your planning ot do in your shed.... id go for Plasterbaording every time..... Not only does it paint easy, but as its none flamable, it makes you shed pretty safe to work inside with grinders and tools etc..... flying sparks to timber can mean nice new big shed becomes charcoal.... the Plasterbaord will give you some protection against such thing....and its cheaper than most timbers too...

Sponsored Links
i would say 12mm ext ply every time

you can hang what you like from it without additional support

your kids can whack it with the bike peddals and it wont collapse

it can get wet several times from leaks and kids rubbing against with wet clothes without comming to harm

and if you want to store heavy stuff overhead the ply will double the capacity of the walls [studs] by inproving rigidity spreading load and allowing extra or bigger joists to be fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back