Insulating a Pitched Roof That Has No Felt Installed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned in the topic I am looking to insulate a loft space by fixing (probably with a staple gun) a waterproof, breathable layer between the rafters then, some form of insulation, then plasterboard.

The roof currently consists of only tiles and battens.

I was thinking this product for the waterproofing
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101893&ts=16163&id=31795

I'd be grateful for some opinions on this so I know I'm on the right track.
Any other solutions, methods, products or advice would be apprieciated.

Thanks[/url]

Sponsored Links
There's been lots of previous threads on this subject (with many different opinions).

If you do install some sort of underlay make sure it is vapour permeable, the Screwfix link you gave is for a non permeable.

Static said:
Is it your intension to use the loft as a habitable area?

Eventually, But that's a long way off. I'll be putting a staircase and floor
joist in when I do. In the mean time I want a insulation solution that will
comply with regs so that when I do make the area habitable so I don't
have to rip the lot out and start again!

This looks ideal for the insulation side of things.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...d/cat/pro.jsp?id=76477&slotName=null&homeRef=

Roofer said:
There's been lots of previous threads on this subject (with many different opinions).

If you do install some sort of underlay make sure it is vapour permeable,
the Screwfix link you gave is for a non permeable.

Thanks Roofer. It says it has an absorbant undersurface and is suitable
for installation where the insulation is at rafter level. Isn't this what I
need? I need it to stop rain driven between the tiles but allow moisture to
escape from below, right?
Can you suggest a product? One that can be tacked to the inside of
rafters. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
No underlay is actually designed to be fixed from underneath but that's not to say it wouldn't be successful.

Tyvek underlay is a market leader and a good product

Roofer said:
No underlay is actually designed to be fixed from underneath but that's not to say it wouldn't be successful.

Tyvek underlay is a market leader and a good product

Thanks for the recommendation Roofer.

I'm really only concerned with protecting the insulation and plasterboard not necessarily the tops of the rafters as they're still mainly protected by the tiles. Last thing I want is stains on the boarded out loft space.

So If I tack u-channels of Tyvek underlay facing into the loft between the rafters, push the insulation up into the channel then board over with 9mm plasterboard. Will that be a permanent solution? And will it comply?

Thanks.

hi im doing same thing in my loft, its just slate and rafters, i just read your post and wondered if it turned out ok? any tips you can provide would be most appreciated, thanks

Teleport said:
a waterproof, breathable layer .

Thanks[/url]

Just out of interest as you've bumped it anyway, is 'water proof and breathable' possible?!?

If air can go through it surely water can...

one thing everyones missing.

if you fix a waterproof membrane (breathable or otherwise), to the underside of the rafters, and you happen to have a roof leak, then two things will happen.

a. you will have water pi***ng into your property, down the cavity,round the rafter ends, wall plate etc, rotting everything.

b. because of the internal membrane you now have no early warning system, thus allowing water ingress for sustained periods of time.

very dodgy.

the ideal scenario is tiles, tile battens, breathable membrane, rafters, insulation: between and under draw, plasterboard and skim.

sounds dead right to me. anyone fancy supplying a quote to do the above work on a 2up 2down slate roofed victorian mid terrace in norwich ? thanks

It has to be said. The whole idea of waterproofing and insulating a roof from the inside like this is hopeless and there is no way you can reasonably make it comply with regulations. The foil insulation linked to above is woefully inadequate and will not provide anywhere near the minimum standard.

christi said:
sounds dead right to me. anyone fancy supplying a quote to do the above work on a 2up 2down slate roofed victorian mid terrace in norwich ? thanks

Forget it, adding roofing felt from underneath is a bodge and will haunt you.

The felt is there to back up the slates if a slate breaks, if that happens the water runs down the felt and into the guttering, because the felt laps into the guttering. IF the felt is inside where is it going to lap into to discharge any water, I will tell you, nowwhere, it will **** out into the room below, only now instead of a few drips, you will have it all aggragated into 1 channel and it will pour in like a tap.

If your serious about this, redo the roof. Take the slates off, lathe and felt up using tyvek or simiar (no need to worry about went tiles/ridges which are ££ large), at the same time you could even fit celotex boards between the rafters before putting the felt on (much easier to do as you dont have to carry chuffing great boards through the house)

Reuse the old slates, or sell them on ebay and use a concrete tile, while your on the roof, check the pointing/stability of any chimneys, clean/repair/replace gutters and of course enjoy the view.

Its going to cost you a couple of grand, but if you try to bodge the roof from underneath you will waste £500, you may dislodge/crack a slate without knowing, then wake up on a wet February to a cold wet bed (not like a Sunday mornings warm wet bed)

Remember your whole house is protected at the moment by a little layer of slate nothing else, and while that is good enough, they can and do fail.

Interesting debate.
So if you were to fix celo/k'span boards between the rafters then you'd get the same problems that noseall and snozzer indicate, what with them being foil backed. But if you were planning to do the roof in the near future (a year or so) anyway, why not go for it?

You can refelt, batten and tile without disturbing what's between the rafters, isn't that right?

Hello
What is the procedure for doing the above ?
Do you normally cover the roof in tarp and work underneath it ?
Is it ok to work in strips or do you have to take off all the roof tiles in one go ?
I'm going to get some quotes to get the work done (west sussex) and I just want to know if it can be done anytime or is Spring/Summer the only time ..
Cheers
DB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back