Insulating and Boarding up the Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently considering boarding up and replenishing some old insulation in between the joists.

Currently looking for advice on & considering :-

1. ROI on add extra insulation to meet the new Standard of 10" (considering the existing insulation is @ 4" fiberglass probably about 25years old ???)

2. How do the new types of materials available now compare. (I heard Rockwool is more dense than Glass fibre ? Is this true & at what ratio ?)

3. How to also board up the loft to shove some crap up there !

Cheers

Sponsored Links
diy79 said:
1. ROI on add extra insulation to meet the new Standard of 10" (considering the existing insulation is @ 4" fiberglass probably about 25years old ???)
Waste of time,it will take years to recoup your money back and the flooring will need to be resting on the joists.
2. How do the new types of materials available now compare. (I heard Rockwool is more dense than Glass fibre ? Is this true & at what ratio ?)
Don't know,others might know.
3. How to also board up the loft to shove some crap up there
Loft T&G chipboards or better still if can can get 8' x2' T&G chipboards flooring.

Masona,

Thanks for the reply, I figured the extra insulation would provide diminishing returns, just not sure at what rate. I'm figuring adding on top of 4" would be >10% savings ? Any idea where I can check out some figures ?

Is it true there may be a discount available for loft insulation from the Gov ?

Thanks for the tips on boarding, I didn't really want to start rasing joists either if the insulation it wasn't going to do much for me. Thus the hope when I was told Rockwool was supposed to be denser thus requiring less loft (?) to the equivalent insulation value. (U value, not that I truly understand how it's measured, appreciate if anyone has a dummies guide)

Does anyone know the true story on Rockwool vs Glass fibre vs Foam vs ???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
diy79 said:
Any idea where I can check out some figures ?
See this

Is it true there may be a discount available for loft insulation from the Gov ?
No, the grant come from your local council planning,depending when your property was built.See this
Does anyone know the true story on Rockwool vs Glass fibre vs Foam vs ???
Type in "Loft Insulation" on Google search engine,loads of information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back