insulating floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded floorboards in my living room - they look great but since taking up the carpet it's definitely colder in there. Under the living room is the cellar, which is unheated and a bit damp but it is a full height room so access is easy.
There are no gaps or holes in the floorboards so I think it's just the cold air from the cellar coming through. The plan is to eventually put a radiator and proper window in the cellar (existing window is rotten and damp) and try to use it for dry storage.
If i were to suspend insualtion between the joists would this have help reduce the cold in the living room? Is it straightforward or do I also have to consider ventilation to the boards or anything else? Also, the gas/elec/burglar alarm etc. cables are pinned to the underside of the joists. I'd put the insulation in around these, but is there any thing else I need to consider with regards to this?
Will insulation make a significant difference or is it not worth the effort involved?
Any ideas or advice welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Older houses tend to have ventilation bricks at floor level to provide air flow (remember they were coal-fire heated) and these are frequently a source of draughts. You can apply under floor insulation held between the joists using netting and it will be partly effective, but personally I don't think that the UK is the ideal place for plank floors. I'd also look at the skirtings for gaps between the skirting and the floor caused by shrinkage and settling. These can be dealt with by applying a beading into the corner.

When you do the cellar you may need to tank the walls to dry them. I'd recommend taking a look at Safeguard Chemical for a solution.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit. I'll check the skirting gaps and see if there's significant draught there.
thanks for the url too - we won't be doing the work in the cellar for a good few months but I've started looking for info and this site seems useful.

Sponsored Links
You should also be aware that plastic netting, I found, is a fire hazzard. A match on one end and the flame doesn't stop until reaching the other!
Will you be plasterboarding the cellar ceiling- should that not be enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back