Insulating Narrow Roof Space Above Chalet Style Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help please! I live in a late 60's bungalow where the livingroom has a chalet-style, sloping ceiling. The ceiling is suspended wood paneling which runs parallel about a foot below the roof. It is quite a large area ceiling overall. The insulation is thin rockwool running between joists and I want to replace or improve it. However, I can only get access to this roof space internally, at the highest point. How can I insulate this without having to wreck the ceiling and start again? Tried poking the wrapped rockwool stuff down but it was not a success. What about loose fill? Any advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Shugster said:
What about loose fill? Any advice would be great!
I don't think you have much choice! A small broom or a made up a wooden T-bar to help to push the loose fill etc

This should be fun blowing it everywhere ;)
images

I have a similar problem in a 1950's house with sloping bedroom ceilings and a 6 inch un-insulated gap between it and the roof tiles. My local builder's merchant has told me that Xtratherm are bringing out a new semi rigid product called Rafterlock specifically designed for squeezing into this type of space. I have not found much more about it yet and it doesn't appear on their website but if I get some I will post a report.

I had reasonable sucess with rockwool cavity batts ..... :idea: like the brickies use for cav. walls...trouble is I Like my Chalet too much to move :LOL: particularly the 2 storey height hall with walk round landing ;)

Sponsored Links
I just used rockwool batts (from Wickes) as well. I used 50mm to ensure there was still a 2" gap above to allow the roof space to ventialte, but they also do 65mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back