Insulating single skin garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start building a new garage / workshop in a few weeks. The garage is only going to be single skin, mainly because of space and money. The garage is going to have a pitched tiled roof and be built with concrete blocks then rendered. What could I do to insulate the garage. I was thinking off putting insulated plasterboards on the garage walls, is this is waste of time??

What kind of insulation can I put into the floor of the garage, (the concrete slab has not been put down yet).

I was thinking of putting rockwool insulation in the roof rafters to hold heat in. But I'm more concerned with damp than with heat. Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Jimster said:
What could I do to insulate the garage. I was thinking off putting insulated plasterboards on the garage walls, is this is waste of time??
What kind of insulation can I put into the floor of the garage, (the concrete slab has not been put down yet).

Insulated plasterboard is never a waste of time and for floor insulation see this form previous post

Putting insulated plasterboard is a very effective way of insualting walls, so no this would not be waste of time. To increase the level of insulation can can sandwich insulation between the board and the walls as you are planning with the ceiling. There is a great new product available to help you fix plasterboard called the boadmate board support tool, which is a ahand tool which acts as a support and an alignment aide when fixing board., these even works on insulation and saoundproof plasterboard. visit www.boardmate.com for more information - tis will help fix board on walls ceilings and even sloping, wuick and easy to use and helps reduce board damage from dropiing or removing after misplacing.
With regard to your floor the best solution but posibly a bit expensive is under floor heating, whatever you do ensure you have good ventilation through aire bricks. Any further advice on Plasterbaord fixing do not hesitate to contact me
Good luck hope this was of some help
Simone:confused:

If you're worried about cold and damp, why have a concrete garage? Ever thought about wood?

Sponsored Links
i did think of timber frame to start with, but wouldn't this be more expensive than block???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back