Insulation above lintel between eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1984 build with breeze block inner walls and red brick outer walls with the cavity filled with insulation.

My ensuite bathroom has just been stripped out and I can now see why I was suffering from bad condensation above the window (the room was fully tiled) resulting in lots of growth of mildew and mould despite the bathroom being ventilated with extractors and a radiator. Where the condensation was occuring was the coldest place in the room - there is no insulation around the window area at all and the lintel above it is exposed to the eaves which of course are ventilated to the outside air.

There is a small problem as the wood panel in the under part of the eaves have shrunk thus letting in perhaps more air than they should but even it this is fixed there is still cold air circulating around behind the tiles above the window.

Is it worth trying to do anything about this other than fixing the wood panel?

I discussed with my bathroom fitter (who is about to put plasterboard on the walls prior to tiling again) whether it is worth putting some insulation between the plasterboard and the wall/lintel around the window area but he didn't think it would make any difference.

Sponsored Links
Any insullation between plasterboard and lintol/brickwork will be of benefit. Modern window openings have cavity closers which incorporate insulation between outside and inside brickwork skins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back