Insulation resistance test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Looked at an industrial unit today for testing theres a large open wharehouse unit with approx 60 fleurescents very high up.

Whats the way to test them without disconnecting all the lights.

dont get these very often thankfully.........

Thanks
OS

Sponsored Links
depends on what type of flourescent if they are starter switch types then remove all the starters this will isolate Live from Neutral

Sponsored Links
No, just an IR test..... and see what the result finds

As a Periodic Inspection you mean? Is it possible to connect L&N together and IR test to earth?

Thats what I would do - although you may get shocking readings due to the inductors - they are never great.

Lectrician said:
Thats what I would do - although you may get shocking readings due to the inductors - they are never great.
They are designed for HT so 500v won't break them down to earth.

Spark123 said:
As a Periodic Inspection you mean? Is it possible to connect L&N together and IR test to earth?

Yip thats what I was after, Question is would that test be ok and what readings am i likely to get. the fittings dont look as if they have been up long

Spark123 said:
should do test between L+N also.

ricicle said:
tim west said:
should do test between L+N also.

Not required if it is impractical to remove loads.Just L+N to E is suffice.
you can isolate L+N by removing all the starter switches if that type.

How do you remove the starters ;)

The regs call for the insulation resistance for a 500vDC test to be above 0.5 Meg, however anthing less than 2 Meg should be investigated further. Do you have a copy of guidance note 3?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back