INSULATION RESISTANCE TESTING...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When carrying out an insulation resistance test between live conductors of the socket outlet and a short circuit is discovered, what is the best way to test this to determine the location of the fault within the damaged cable.
And what's the best way to rectify this?

ay ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean. Is it a short P to N?

You surely don't mean "resistance test between live conductors " as there is supposed to be continuity between them! And you can't mean N to E as they are (approximately) connected depending on earthing type.

After de-energising, I'd start by taking out the middle socket in the ring, to split it, then disconnecting at the CU, and seeing which half of the ring contains the short, then (personal choice) you can either work your way along that half, disconnecting and retesting at each socket, or (my preference) halve it again, and again, and again, until you find the part with the fault.

If you don't want to disconnect at the CU (e.g. crammed with cables), then take out the two sockets nearest the CU, as well as the middle one. that gives you two separate straight runs to investigate. The fewer things you disconnect the better, in my opinion, as you reduce the possibility of introducing new problems.

You'd also want to consider the age of the installation, and when the fault appeared - e.g. after nailing in new skirtings (probably a nail through a cable) or after fitting new socket (probably loose wire touching the backbox) or after plugging in new appliance (unplug it) or after fitting new CU (colourblind electrician)

Sponsored Links
sorry Traineespark. Didn't mean to steal, or rather, pluralise your existing name. Anyone fancy taking on a 30 year old as an apprentice who will work for peanuts (not literally) in order to learn the trade?

No worries TRAINEESPARKS, I was only muckin about. Where abouts in the uk are ya based?
TS.

i'm based in Tottenham, North London. But willing to travel...
taking my part 2 in June..

JohnD said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Is it a short P to N?

You surely don't mean "resistance test between live conductors " as there is supposed to be continuity between them! And you can't mean N to E as they are (approximately) connected depending on earthing type.

phase and neutral are 'live', so he is right in testing insulation between them

Then I misled myself, some people say "live" to mean "phase," esp. on single-phase circuits.

TRAINEESPARKS said:
When carrying out an insulation resistance test between live conductors of the socket outlet and a short circuit is discovered, what is the best way to test this to determine the location of the fault within the damaged cable.
And what's the best way to rectify this?

ay ideas?

If the circuit fails this test then it may well be possible that a load is still connected to a socket somewhere (if this is an inspection of existing wiring) or it may even be a neon in an FCU or similar!

If there are definitely no loads connected then you would need to IR test each cable in the circuit individually by physically disconnecting them from each other!

Once you have found the damaged cable (usually by a screw etc!) then it is best practice, if possible, to replace this cable!

Edit: Also, JohnD's advice for splitting the ring in half is very good if you know how and where the cables are run but if inspecting an existing installation you may not know how the cables are run and cannot just assume that the next socket along the wall will be the next socket on the ring! This makes things more time-consuming!

as for rectification, once you have the fault narrowed down to one cable run then you have 3 main options:

1: split the ring into two 20A radials (assuming you have the space in the CU can get breakers and the two parts of the ring are unlikely to be overloaded in this configuration)

2: replace the damaged cable section

3: find the exact location of the fault and fix it (only feasible if its a point fault and if you have the equipment needed to locate it which most sparkys don't)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back