Insurance Scaremongering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was browsing the interweb researching an unrelated electrical querie when I stumbled upon a site selling insurance for domestic fixed wiring.

Quote:

One in three homes have suffered an electrical wiring breakdown

Without it you could find yourself with no lighting, no fridge and possibly no way to cook dinner. Worst of all, your gas central heating may not work as the pump depends on electricity. This kind of disruption can not only be inconenient but it can also be expensive to put right

The diagram below illustrates some of the typical electrical wiring breakdowns and the typical prices Homeserve approved electricians would charge to non-customers. Other electricians may charge you much more.

prices.jpg

For just £47.88 a year you will have access to a 24 hour Emergency Hotline

Smallprint: "to prevent fraudulent claims you cannot claim in the first 14 days of your cover, providing you with 11 and a half months of Emergency and Breakdown Cover in your first year."

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
And those prices are grossly inflated anyway.

one in three HAVE suffered ...

This means theres a one in 3 chance of the wiring "breaking down" EVER, in any house. Lets say I move into a house whne i'm 25, and live there until i retire at 65. Thats £1915.20 paid out over 40 years. I could have a rewire for that in a modest sized house. Chances are, if any wiring goes wrong it'll be down to dodgy DIY.

"other electricians may charge MUCH more"

Oh, just slag off the entire electrical industry by telling the public that electrician's prices are grossly overinflated. Wonder if Homeserve's sparks are ok by this? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
And if Homeserve's sparks wire house like the one in the picture, I dont want anything to do with them. Look at the red lines. Note the continuity. Everything on one circuit? :eek: :LOL:

intresting read. what a load of crud a! no doubt people fall for it.

I'm surprised they cover DIY accidents.....nails through cables etc...

Hey, I suffered an "electrical breakdown" at my house earlier this evening...

...fortunately, once I replaced the blown lamp all was well, so no need to call for Homeserve!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back