Integrated appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do intergrated appliances, specifically washing machines, cost so much more? I have purchased an appliance door - can I just stick this on any machine?

Sponsored Links
housyhouse said:
I have purchased an appliance door - can I just stick this on any machine?

I doubt sticking will keep it in place for long. Drilling the appliance door for screws will invalidate any garantee and cause leaks. Once fixed you will have no means of alligning the door. You will likely also have a job getting to the controls and the appliance will have to be set back another 20mm to allow the doors to sit flush, is there enough room behind?

So short answer is No.

Jason

Just read your post again and see its a washing machine not dishwasher, I may have seen something that will do, will get back to you.

Jason

So these integrated appliances have nothing more than pre fixed hinges for my doors?

Sponsored Links
My experiences of integrated appliances are that they cost more, and aren't as good. My parents gave me their old dishwasher as they were having a nice new integrated one in their new kitchen. Cost loads of money, but they are so pi**ed off with its performance compared to the old standalone.

Saying that, I do think they look nicer, possibly even compared to a steel or aluminium-fronted appliance.

housyhouse said:
So these integrated appliances have nothing more than pre fixed hinges for my doors?

They are a slightly different size, too. A full-size standalone dishwasher will not fit behind a door flush with the edge of a standard width worktop. I.e. it is as deep as the worktop even when pushed all the way back to the wall.

It seems the manufacturers think they can get away with charging a premium on integrated appliances because people are so keen to hide the hideous designs of the freestanding ones they make

The hinges used on a fully intergrated appliance are slightly different to standard, they also attach to the front of the machine in a recessed panel.

Other differences int. 545 deep, free 580 deep.. int. provision for continuious plinth and access to filter, also meant to be built in, so air circulation has been taken into account.

Freestanding appliances can be built in at the time of a full instalation but require extra wide worktop, two additional doors per appliance and a means of removing a section of plinth, as and when.

I personally think the cost of altering an exsisting kitchen would not be worth it.

So agree with you, stuck with overpriced intergrated junk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back